30. Hopefully, We Won't Run Into Anything

Chapter 30

Hopefully, We Won't Run Into Anything

"The caves were cold and dark..."

"Stop."

"...as they made their slow, treacherous descent."

"Stop it."

"She glared down at him below her..."

"At least, you're getting that right."

"...and he was so close to falling off the edge..."

"Not before I push you if you don't shut up."

"...but he liked the view too much to do that to himself."

"And you'd better keep your eyes down or else I'm going to take you down."

"All she gave him were threats..."

"I'll do more than give you threats."

A thud on the ground below me.

I looked down from my spot on the iron ladder to see him holding up his arms, like he was willing to catch me if I fell. I rolled my eyes and kept going. It wasn't until his hands were on my waist that I squeaked as he pulled me down.

Drake finished his sentence with a smile as he tightened his hold on my waist. "...and he would gladly take it if it meant doing this only with her."

I raised an eyebrow. "What's up with the third person monologue?"

He shrugged one shoulder, giving me a wink. "Adding a little mystery and intrigue to the adventure."

"...as they make their slow, treacherous journey though the cold and dark tunnels..."

That got me an outright laugh. "See. Now I've got you doing it."

"Okay, okay," I smiled, pushing him away. "Let's get going."

"You guys all right down there?" Emmy called down, her voice echoing down to us.

Both of us looked up, barely able to make out the opening up above and the three people looking down. "We're good!" we yelled back.

I reached into my back pocket, pulling out the map of the tunnels. After unfolding it so Drake and I could hold it in between us, I adjusted my headlamp to shine down on it.

"So," I started. "Which one should we go down first? Start left and work our way right? Or maybe just randomly chose one and go down it?"

Drake studied the map, following the first tunnel to the left with his finger. "Let's check all of them, just in case there's something. And let's start with the left and work our way right. The first one doesn't look like it goes back very far before ending. See?"

I followed the narrow tunnel to where it ended in a circular space. It could have been a room or even just another tunnel that opened up or down.

"Sounds good to me. Watch it just be an empty room..."

We followed the tunnel almost a hundred feet, our headlamps the only thing lighting the way. I kept my eyes forward, glancing down at where I was stepping every few feet. And I was glad I did, too, because it wasn't a circular room.

"A giant ass hole," Drake sighed.

"Nice description," I snorted, kneeling down next to the edge to peer over. "But very true."