Chapter 7: Only Hope

~ A month later ~

*Harlee's POV*

It was the week before Halloween, and I've been at Ouran for a month. The classes here are more challenging but I love going to school with Haruhi again and with the hosts. But I am mainly excited to see Kaoru all the time. It has been a little awkward but not much, we are as close as we can be without me talking all the time.

Currently, Haruhi, the twins and I were in the classroom during club hours while our class chairman was trying to figure out what to do for Halloween. The class was a bustle explaining to Haruhi and I how the exams work and that each class threw different events for the Halloween occasion.

"Yea these events are pretty fun actually" Kaoru says. "Yeah, we socialize or watch some old movies. Stuff like that" Hikaru explains a little further. This crazy lady comes in screaming, "Boring, boring, boring!" 'Who's that?' I ask Kaoru. He reads it before explaining, "That's Renge, she designated herself the Host Club Manager after saying she was engaged to Kyoya-senpai. In reality he never met her in his life."

"Halloween! The day that sounds the death knell of summer and ushers in the icy breath of winter. Halloween. Once a day when ghouls walked the earth and disguised themselves as ghouls, we tried to ward them all off. Halloween. A day for wearing costumes and playing pranks on trick-or-treaters with reckless abandon." Renge continued. 'Dramatic?' I showed Kaoru. "Very" he whispered back to me.

"Some people don't wait for Halloween to dress up," Hikaru whispered to the three of us. "Some people cosplay all year round," Kaoru added. "Tell me about it. What's with the uniform anyway?" Haruhi asks Renge. "For your information this is the uniform in "Uki-doki Memorial 2," which isn't scheduled for release until next spring. What do you think?" Renge explains.

It was weird being around people who had more money than imaginable. Haruhi and I were considered poor, but we honestly weren't. We are middle class, comfortable. But everyone here throws money around as if it's a napkin. I had blanked out so much that now everyone is voting, and I don't know what for. "Come on Harlee raise your hand" Kaoru whispered to me. I raise my hand and it is agreed upon unanimously.

'What did I agree too?' I show the three. "It's an afterhours Halloween scare contest" The twins say. 'I don't like being scared' I show them. "You'll be fine Harlee. Now you head home to start your homework while we all go back to the Host Club" Haruhi said. Agreeing to my sister's instructions I do exactly that. I go home.

~ The next day ~

*Kaoru's POV*

The next day we were discussing who was gonna be on what teams. I really want to be on a team with Harlee. If Harlee and Haruhi are on our team that's four, a perfect group. Hikaru and I were crowded around, I looked over everyone's head and I couldn't see Harlee anywhere, or Haruhi. I tap Hikaru's shoulder, "I don't see Haruhi or Harlee" I whisper.

"Let's go find your girlfriend and her sister" Hikaru snickers. "Not my girlfriend" I say sadly back to him. We go into the hallway and see Haruhi and Harlee talking to the class chairman. We hear him talk about how much of a scaredy cat he was. "One more thing. You can't tell the Hitachiin brothers" he says. "Is someone a fraidy cat?" Hikaru and I say together. The class rep screams and tries to jump out the window. Harlee playfully hits me on the shoulder with a smile and I laugh back at her.

"Oh, there you are. We're about to choose groups. So do you have any idea who you'd like to have on your team?" Kurakano asks, coming out of the classroom. "Yea, the four of us'll-" We start but then we realize that there are five of us and Harlee is getting left out. We all stand in silence before the rep speaks up, "We'll be a team of five."