Chapter 4: Sunset

*Harlee's POV*

I was standing with Kaoru on the other side of the pension just staring out into the afternoon, standing there you could hear Tamaki playing the piano inside. I was swaying and enjoying the music when Kaoru finally speaks up, "There goes our chance" he snickers. I write in my notebook seeing him watching me out of the corner of my eye. 'Where's Hikaru?' He smiles at me, "He went to get us more trash bags for us."

I nod with a smile on my face. We stand in silence once more, letting Tamaki's music flood the empty space. I look over at Kaoru to see him staring at me. With a confused look on my face, I write in my notebook once again. 'Why are you staring at me?' I show him and he gets a shy smile on his face. "I was just admiring how you swayed with the music. You seem at peace, just like watching it" Kaoru answers honestly. I smile brighter. I've never really had friends before, not to my own doing, just people never really want to be friends with someone they don't think they can communicate with.

'Thank you for being my friend and being patient with me.' I wrote and went to show Kaoru when a flowerpot fell from an above window. "Look out!" Kaoru shouts and pushes both of us sideways out of the flowerpots area. Kaoru had protected my body with his, shielding it from the shuddered pieces of glass flying. "I'm so sorry! Are you two alright?" One of the girls from the window it fell from asks.

"I'm ok. Are you ok Harlee?" Kaoru asks, looking all over my body to see if there were any open wounds. I nod with a smile signaling that I am ok. "Kaoru!" Hikaru yells, running up to us both. Kaoru lifts his hand to his cheek to see that he had been cut but not badly. I look scared at him, and he shyly smiles and winks. The worry that I was once feeling now replaced with confusion. "You're hurt! Let me see!" Hikaru says, concerned. "I'm fine. It's only a little cut." Kaoru says. Hikaru puts his head down on Kaoru's shoulder and everyone oos and awes about it.

"Hikaru...." Kaoru says softly. "Don't scare me like that" Hikaru mumbles. That's when everything made sense. "Bravo! Bravo! One-hundred points for refreshing brotherly love! A perfect score! And the victory goes to the Hitachiin brothers!" Misuzu says from on top of the pension roof. I look stunned towards Kaoru, and he just smiles at me. This was his plan all along. He used me as bait to seem like I needed protection. I look at him angry before standing up and going to mine and Haruhi's room for the night.

~ The next morning ~

*Kaoru's POV*

Hikaru and I were in a bickering match. He had pushed me out of bed at night! My back was in so much pain! Haruhi was bringing over the teapot while Harlee had our appetizers. "Get us some breakfast please. I'll have two baguette toast with clarified butter and garnet seal syrup." Hikaru says. "I don't think they serve that here. I'll take poached eggs with bacon, and a bowl of whole grain cereal. Is that ok Harlee?" I say, looking at her.

She nods without even looking at me before her and Haruhi walk away. "She's giving me the silent treatment" I pout. "Isn't she always giving everyone the silent treatment? Harlee doesn't talk" Hikaru points out. "Yea but she's different with me. She normally smiles and nods or writes in her book. But she didn't even look at me!" I whine again.

We are interrupted by the bell of the door ringing. "Good morning, Arai produce" the guy says. Misuzu walks over to get the produce that the guy was delivering. Haruhi and Harlee both looked in his direction once he said his name. "Haruhi, would you put these in the refrigerator for me?" Misuzu calls out.

The boy looks shocked. "Haruhi Fujioka?" he asks. "Hey Arai," Haruhi says. Harlee runs over and throws her arms around this Arai kids' neck in a big hug. "Harlee! Wow have you grown" Arai laughs. Harlee gets down and gives him a pouty look as him and Haruhi laugh. "So, uh, these your friends?" Arai asks, seeing Hikaru, Tamaki and myself sitting close by watching the interaction. "Oh, yeah, this is Hikaru and Kaoru. They're in my class. And this... is my sen- An acquaintance of mine." Haruhi explains. Harlee slightly nods in agreement.