Prologue: Something is rising

November 5th, 2022

0800 hours

It's fitting that it's hear, Captain Douglas Gordon thought to himself as he stood on top of the USS Gotengo. Where was here, you may ask? Bikini Atoll. 

The crisp blue waters, the sun-bleached sands and the elegant green palms swaying in the winds made it a perfect get-away vacation spot. It must have looked like this all those years ago. A small stretch of islands that no one had paid much attention to. Until one day. When man unleashed something extraordinary and terrifying all at once. That's why it was fitting in Captain Gordon's eyes. This is where it all began and now, it would be where it all ended.

On each of the tiny islands stretched out before him were several artillery batteries, loaded wit high explosive ordinance. Between the islands, ships from every nation and corner of the globe were present. America, Russia, China, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Canada, Wakanda and Japan, a handful were from the organization S.H.I.E.L.D, Stark Industries, Wayne Enterprises and LexCorp.

The battleships and artillery were loaded with TOW missiles, cruise missiles, radar-guided, heat-seekers, Hell even old Stark Industries weapons like the Jericho warheads and freezing weapons made by the criminal Victor Fries/Mr. Freeze. Whatever they could carry. The carriers sported a similar armament with their bombers and jets. The S.H.I.E.L.D. Hellicarrier was had every air attack vehicle out, ready to use.

Ultimately though, none of them really mattered. It wasn't an insult to any of them, it was a fact. They were all here to keep the target off balance and lead him where they wanted him to go.

There was only one weapon that less conventional and could be seen on the island the Gotengo was on and Captain Gordon took another glance at it. Among the trees was a massive gun. It was bigger than anything on the nearby ships. It didn't fire any special rockets or bombs however. It fired dark energy. A power terrible enough to literally rip through time and space. At least that's what he was briefed. Dr. Victor Von Doom, Dr. Reed Richards, Princess Shuri, Dr. Hank Pym, Lucius Fox, Tony Stark, Lex Luthor and Dr. Bruce Banner had built it but it was never fired. Not even as a test fire. How ironic given their current surroundings and what happened here all those years ago.

They called it "Dimension Tide." Captain Gordon just called it what it was. A Black Hole Gun. Gordon was a simple man and he preferred simple titles over fanciful comic book names. The weapon would be considered excessive but not in this situation. It was pretty much their last shot at this point.

Almost seventy years ago, in 1954 on this very spot, the Americans detonated the very first Hydrogen Bomb. Up to that date, it had been the most powerful weapon ever created in history. No one could have predicted the consequences when they dropped it. It wasn't until much later  when the cold reality hit them. The American's desire to claim victory in the Cold War of the 50's had awakened. . . something. A creature of such immense raw natural power that man's greatest war machines were powerless against it.

There was no clear theory of what he was. A survivor of the Age of Dinosaurs altered by radiation? An ancient monster brought to life by the H-Bomb's detonation? All they knew was that the bomb had brought him into existence and the world was never the same since.

For that was the day, Godzilla, King of the Monsters, had begun his reign.

Over the decades since, Godzilla had rampaged across the Earth. His need for destruction seemed insatiable. Relentless and most peculiar of all was that it seemed directed. Godzilla attacked power plants, nation capitals and military bases. To any outsider observer, the attacks seemed strategic in nature. Not random. It was as if Godzilla was picking his targets, choosing which held priority over the other. The idea that this prehistoric monster was a thinking one was disturbing for many.