26- Alas, love is harder than fighting villains

Todoroki looked at the ceiling in daze.

The scent of disinfectants permitted through the air and the white colour themed room was very impactful.

He looked down at his casted body and let out a long sigh.

"So I used my fire side huh?"

Now that the previous adrenaline rush had calmed down, Shoto was able to think straight.

He remembered the sensation of finally letting his flames loose.

"Why?"

Why did he feel guilty yet so happy at the same time?

Was he doing the right thing?

These were the flames that slowly turned his mother insane.

The same element that killed his elder brother...

Was it really alright to use them?

"Don't think so hard you'll get wrinkles early."

Shoto turned his head abruptly to the right.

He winced at the pain that shot through his neck, "Shin?"

"Yup," Shin replied nonchalantly as he took a slice of the apple he had peeled.

Seeing the look of confusion on Todoroki's face, Shin felt he needed to clarify some things, "You're in the infirmary," he paused a bit before adding, "You lost..."

Shoto sighed, "I know-"

"To me."

Shoto: "..." now he was seriously questioning whether this guy was just here to rub it in.

"To someone who's quirk only awakened a year ago."

Shoto's eyes widened at the revelation.

A year ago?

Was that even possible?

"Hard to believe but it's true," Shin dropped the knife down on the tray and reached out for another slice of apple with a toothpick, "I know your quirk might be a touchy subject for you but at the end of the day if you can save a life with it," he shoved the fruit into Shoto's mouth, "isn't that what truly matters?"

Todoroki fell silent as he let his classmates' words sink in.

Shin noticed this and felt like he had persuaded enough.

After getting along with frosty for a while now, Shin had gotten a better understanding of the dude.

He was a bit rash but not unreasonable.

At least if you weren't speaking nonsense and he wasn't in an emotional state, then it wasn't impossible to reason with him.

That's why Shin decided not to push him too much.

After all, he had already succeeded in making him use his fire side once, all the guy needed was a little push in the right direction.

"Shin?"

"Yeah?"

"Thank you."

Shin smiled softly, "No problem frosty-"

"I ship it."

The warm atmosphere was shattered with these three words.

Both boys turned their heads to the direction of the sound and sure enough they saw Toru waving her bandaged hands in the air.

With Shin's magoi sensing currently active, he could make out the silhouette of the girl doing a silly dance with her hands.

"Speak less," Shin smacked her head without mercy.