ʟᴏᴠᴇ ʙʟᴀᴄᴋᴏᴜᴛ

"Harry? Hermione questions, still standing bewildered, never did she plan to have her day end like this. 

She had been in her office, when Alex brought her lunch. He talked animatedly about this new project he was beginning and if nothing, Hermione definitely admired his passion and work ethic. Suddenly, a small owl was struggling outside her office window and she immediately recognised him as Lupin, the owl gifted to Teddy by Harry. 

The owl had brown feathers, with piercing hazel eyes and Hermione can understand why Harry nudged the little boy to name his bird after his family. There was small letter in sloppy handwriting asking her to visit with Harry this evening. 

After taking several minutes to adore the letter in all it's cuteness and innocence, also the small 'please' with a heart drawn next to it Hermione tried to reach out to Harry but couldn't get ahold of him. So she made her way here by herself. 

Walking in on such a conversation, took her by a whirlwind of surprise. 

"No I... there's nothing." Harry replied after a moment of awkward shuffling

Hermione takes a decisive step forward.

"I thought you said you would always trust me?" Hermione pushes.

"This isn't like that."

No, she knows this isn't like that. Their relationship began shifting as soon as he said that he wants a family with her. She knows, deep down, that this evening if going to chart the course for them. It could either push their friendship to utter despair, or they could become something more. 

"Bullshit, you know it is. What is it that you can't tell me huh?"

"Don't do this Mione, you don't know what you're asking to know."

Hermione takes another step, "I know you Harry, and heard the way you talked. You have to say it once, just once. Tell me what you want."

Harry can't hear himself think, and perhaps he doesn't want to. Hermione's question appears to be so simple now. He has long known the answer. He's known it for so long that when he says it aloud, it almost sounds absurd.

"I want you."

Hermione swallows with a dry mouth. She waits a few seconds for her brain to process what she's just heard, but it never happens. Hermione locks her gaze on Harry, who appears terrified but also relieved. As if this had been ingrained in him for far too long. 

"You... you what?" 

"I want you," Harry says again, his words immediate now. 

"You want me? What exactly does that mean?" Hermione doesn't get it. She had fantasised about hearing this, but she never imagined it would actually happen. Her mind was racing at a million miles per hour. 

Harry takes another step towards her, offering no assistance with her confusion. Instead, himself, h e's never felt more courageous in his life. He is, however, always braver when he is with Hermione.

Hermione snuggles closer into Harry's palm as he places a warm hand on her cheek. Harry loses himself in those striking hazel eyes and gently presses their lips together. And for once, Hermione is stunned into silence. 

Hermione's fists at her sides relax. Harry's kissing her, Harry's kissing her! His lips are tentative and unsure, but argh so gentle and intoxicating. It's only been a second, and neither of them have moved, but the electricity she feels between them is clearly longstanding. 

It takes all of her willpower to separate herself from her best friend. 

Hermione takes a step back, making room for them. She doesn't need the space, and she definitely doesn't want it. But she needs it because she's not sure this is real.

"Harry," Hermione is terrified and out of breath. 

And Harry is filled with sadness and dread. She despises it. 

"I apologise. Fuck. Just forget about it. Please forget about that," he begged. 

"No! We need to talk about this, Harry," Mione insists. 

"I made a mistake, please, okay?" Harry responds. 

"Was that what it was? A mistake?" She sounds terribly disappointed. 

"No... well, yes..."

"Was that a mistake, Harry?" Hermione is adamant. 

And Harry is suddenly exhausted. so sick of lying to Hermione and lying to himseld. Just so tired. 

"No," Harry looks Hermione in the eyes and responds firmly. "No, no, it wasn't. You won't understand how long I've wanted to do that—"

And Harry barely finishes his sentence before Hermione kisses him again. This time it's deliberate and confident, and his stomach is on fire. Hermione is kissing him, Hermione is kissing him! How is it that it's even better than Harry had hoped? How can he have chills down his spine and an overwhelming sense of warmth all at the same time?

His hands snake around her waist, and Hermione sighs as her fingers thread through his hair. 

They pull apart reluctantly, but he still doesn't let her go. 

Hermione has a lazy smile on her face as she says, "trust me, I understand."

One thing they both know know? There's no turning back.