Leaving

The train whistled in the distance.

You gripped the handle of your suitcase, coming to your feet to meet it. There was no point in turning around to say goodbye to the city. It's not like there was anything there for you anymore.

You hadn't planned to quit work so quickly, but you knew it was for the best. It had been a week since the Kim jewelry launch party, and you were barely able to stand your own skin the entire time. Running into Hoseok reminded you of how unsuccessful you were in business. Working for Namjoon reminded of how unsuccessful of how you were in romance.

Maybe a new location would change both.

Wind whipped your hair and dress as the train came to the platform. You gripped your suitcase and your ticket, stepping up to get on. The conductor took your ticket and showed you to your seat, a small upper class booth that the Kim family had generously paid for at your announcement of resignation.

You settled your belongings, settling into the cabin, looking out the window to watch the city slowly pass by. Whether it was sad to see you go or not, you couldn't tell.

When the city was far behind you, you leaned back and shut your eyes, wondering what you would find in your new life ahead.

The door opened.

Your eyes flew open, blurring and refocusing as someone plopped on the couch opposite you.

Hoseok Jung.

"So," he said

"So," he said. "Where are we going?"

He smiled. Your mouth hung open to speak, but it took a long time for sound to actually come out of it.

"We...? What – how did you get here?"

He chuckled. "I came to see you, but Namjoon told me that you had just left for the station. So naturally, I had to come too. He didn't tell me where you were heading, however, so I bought a ticket for the entire trip. There are about five stops –"

"And who said you were invited!" you finally got out. "I was trying to leave everything behind in that city!"

HIs eyes softened. "But you take the pain with you. Trust me, mon cherie. Your heart will be just as heavy outside the city."

He stood and sat next to you. You scooted over, folding your arms.

"When I came back to the city," he said, "I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to look for you. I knew you'd harbor some hatred for me still - understandably - or perhaps, you would be married off and not think about me at all. But then I saw you again per chance and I knew it was Fate telling me to be brave."

You didn't answer. He scooted closer to you.

"I don't want to be just a fond memory, milady," he said. "I want to make more memories with you."

You snapped your head sideways to look at him, the lilt in his voice familiar. It was then that you recognized his scent, and the arrogant eyes accompanying a playful smirk.