Bonus Content: Goliath

Começar do início

And yes, tonight is the announcement of the winners from the final five contenders, NS Design and Cosmo included.

Derek extends his arm to me, and I take it, and we leave unit 1604, ready to take Cosmo down.

******

"You look stunning!" Nina exclaims as I inch to hug her.

"You, too!" I reply. Derek also gives Nina a quick embrace, then we greet Nina's partner, George.

"So, you ready?" I ask, my eyes scanning the venue filled with architects, designers, representatives of corporations, and the media. A piece of classical music plays in the background, ushers welcoming guests and leading them to their respective seats.

We walk to our assigned table, my gaze falling on another that is a few meters away and is male-dominated. My gut gets the oh so familiar uncomfortable sensation as my smile falters.

"You okay?" Derek asks, then he looks at where my gaze is directed at. He huffs, pulling a chair for me.

"Yes," I reply, gaining composure. "I'm okay."

Servers pour us some wine and provide us with dinner as the program commences. There are some speeches and introduction of the judges. My fingers tremble with every minute that passes, and on the second introduction, I excuse myself.

"How have you been?"

The voice startles me. I stop and see Clark near the door on my way back from the washroom.

"None of your business," I say.

"You stole some of our clients," he utters accusingly.

"They moved to us. There's a difference."

He squishes his eyebrows. "You know you won't win."

"Then why do you sound afraid?" I mock. "Get out of my face."

I try to walk past him, but he obstructs my way. "Why can't you just give up?"

"Why can't you just fuck off?"

He bares his teeth. "You're such a--"

"The lady told you to fuck off."

We turn our heads and see Derek, his face dark, his pulse slamming in his neck. He motions and stands beside me, wrapping his hand on my waist.

"They're going to announce the winners soon. We have to go back inside," Derek mutters without breaking gaze from Clark.

"Mm," I hum, then I return to the hall with him, leaving Clark speechless.

"Thanks," I whisper as we take our seats. "I don't know why he finds it amusing to fight with me."

"He's insecure, that's why," Derek scoffs. "Sorry I had to cut in. I wouldn't have been able to stop myself if I heard him say another word."

I caress his arm. "No, Derek. I appreciate it."

We spin their heads to the stage as we hear a round of applause. The announcements are about to roll in.

I can't help but throw a glance in Cosmo Interiors' direction, and anxiety splinters my chest, the fragments of last year's events during the Main View Hotel opening party flashing in my mind.

The way I was pushed aside. The way Clark took credit for our work.

I squeeze my eyes shut.

What if we lose? To see Clark again up there will be devastating. I won't be able to take it.

I have to go. I can't do this.

"Sam," Derek whispers, clutching my moist hands. "It'll be fine."

"Derek, I don't know--"

"It'll be fine," he reiterates.

My breathing steadies, and I gradually look at Derek, who smiles. "He can't take this away from you."

I sigh, "I'm scared."

"You've already won."

The next I thing I know, I'm up on stage with Nina, delivering a modified speech from a year ago. Clark walks out with the rest of his peers as I declare that leaving my previous workplace is the best decision I'd made in my career. The media snap shots of them.

I head back to Derek, who snakes his arms around me again. I sink my nose into his neck, inhaling his minty scent.

"See? I told you."

A smile crosses my lips.

We're taking Goliath down one step at a time, and we've only just begun.

A/N:

Happy holidays, folks! Hope everyone's enjoying and relaxing this holiday season!