69) The Gothic Gate

Location : Fort Canning Park, Singapore

Sender: Miss Ayesha

This happened to me this year, shortly after my graduation from polytechnic. One evening, i was out with my friends. There were 3 of us altogether. Our group is a multicultural group; there's one Malay lady which is me, one Indian lady and one Chinese lady. 

Initially we were hanging out at Funan Mall. The mall has another exit where you can walk to the Fort Canning Park. Literally a less than 10 minutes walk. We had brought along some food (from KFC) with us and we decided to spend our evening at the park.

It was around 6pm when we arrived and there were a lot of joggers, people doing their hiking (the park is located up a hill) and others were just doing their evening exercises. We decided to sit near the big field; to my right was the Gothic Gate (it has been there for a very long time) and to my left were the steps where they displayed the name of those who have died. 

Let me give you a background about the Gothic Gate. It was built in 1846 and it has Greek initials on it. The Fort Canning Park itself used to be called the Forbidden Hill back in the 1300s. Back then, it used to be the seat of royalty and the Gothic Gate used to be the entry to a very old cemetery. 

Today, they have exhumed everything except for the Gothic Gate and a very big field; which was where we were having our picnic. We continued chatting for quite sometime and didn't realize that the place had become very dark. The only lights available were the ones coming from the pathways. I checked the time and it was already 8:30pm. 

The place had become very quiet and i realized that we were the only ones left. We still continued talking because my friends still wanted to hangout. Suddenly, at the corner of my eye, i noticed that there was a lady in a white gown; walking to the right and to the left continuously. I thought that there was a wedding photoshoot going on because i have seen many times where couples did their wedding photoshoot at Fort Canning Park.  

At first, i ignored her because i was listening to my friends' stories. This lady kept on walking to and fro continuously and it got my attention. I actually turned to look at her and yes, she was just walking to the right and to the left with her head down in her white gown. Then, i started to think to myself; why was it very quiet around her? If there was a photoshoot going on, where was the groom and where was the photographer? This lady was walking around on her own. 

I started to feel uneasy about this lady and the best part of it all; my friends who were seating facing the gate did not make any reaction. Basically they didn't see this lady at all. I am the one who was seated perpendicular to the gate, saw everything and now i am starting to panic!

"Hey, let's go from here... let's hangout somewhere else." i voiced out to my friends.

"Why? What happened?" they looked blur. 

"I just.. wanted to make sure.. that i am not seeing things." i explained myself.

"What are you seeing?" they asked me. 

"Never mind, let's just pack our stuff and go." i suggested.

As we were packing our stuff, i could still see the girl. I noticed her more clearly this time. She was wearing a Victorian gown, a bouffant Victorian gown and her hair was up in a bun. All Victorian style like how they used to dress up back in the 1800s. 

I could sense from the corner of my eyes that she has stopped walking and she's just standing there, looking at me! I turned my head to look at her to see what was the race of that lady. Perhaps, i wanted to make sure she's human but... i could not. She does look like a Caucasian lady but... i know that she's not because her skin was almost translucent and her eyes were red and she was staring at me!

At this point i had already read all the prayers i know in my heart and i quickly turned away.

"Let's go... let's go!" i started to panic which freaked my friends out. 

We then started to walk away. As i was walking.. i heard something goes,

"HE HE HE" like someone laughing at me and it was coming from her direction!

Suddenly at the corner of my eyes, i could see that the white bouffant gown started to float upwards! All the way up until i could see that there was nothing left to see! She had vanished!  

The whole experience was scary for me as i was the only one who saw and i was down with fever for the next 3 days. I shared the story with my mother and regretted it because she gave me a long lecture about the timing. The timing was crucial because when everything happened, it was the time where these supernatural things start to find their victims! 

I should have known better because i know for a fact that Fort Canning Park has a lot of histories of its own. For some reason that evening, i had forgotten all about the stories of the place and decided to hang out with my friends. A huge lesson learnt and i don't stop anyone from visiting the park because it has its own charms and beauty during the day and a really good location for hiking in Singapore. Thank you.