Chapter 13 - Entering the Knights of Favonius

Now playing:
Temporary Love (feat. CG5) - The Living Tombstone, CG5
0:01 ❍─────── 2:24
 ↻ ⊲ Ⅱ ⊳ ↺

The man shook his head in dismay. "I'm sorry, but all apartments are filled with the prospect of a local tavern producing new flavors. I wish I could squeeze you two in, but there simply isn't enough room."

Albedo nodded and looked down at the smaller girl. "I know another place we can stay."

He thanked the man and led her away once again. When they left Diona's a few minutes prior, he told her the journey back to Dragonspine would have to wait until tomorrow, with dark settling in. His ominous warning about being caught in the dark with the snow left goosebumps on her arms.

Melanie watched his face as they walked, trying to read his thoughts. Much to her disappointment, he was as trained on his tasks as ever. He walked like an independent, making it seem like she was nothing but an onlooker, getting too close for comfort. This pained her more than anything.

He ascended the stairs fluidly, not stopping to catch his breath a single time. A bit of a hop pushed him up every flight until he reached the top. When he turned to make sure she was still following, he looked down at her with mild confusion. He was all the way at the top; she was only on the second flight of stairs.

Albedo crossed his arms in front of his chest, his hip jutting out to the side just slightly. "Coming?" he asked jokingly, though the comment stung her personally. She nodded and picked up the pace. By the time she finally reached him, she was completely out of breath.

"Those... s-stairs is phew, horrible!" she complained, supporting herself by planting her hand firmly against his chest and leaning. "You can carry me next time."

The alchemist scoffed with amusement. He took a moment to look around the area before deciding it was safe to answer. "As you wish, Snowflake." After speaking, he took a step backward suddenly, and she toppled to the ground with a squeak.

"Albedo!" she screeched, covering her mouth quickly after remembering she was in public. He was kind enough to offer his hand to pull her back to her feet, and despite her personal offense, she accepted it. The dirt was brushed free of her clothes in an instant as she tried to retain whatever dignity she previously had.

He shrugged his shoulders, laughing softly when he turned away. She heard his amusement and pouted, following him with her arms crossed and her lip jutted out. "This isn't fair," she grumbled quietly.

It hadn't occurred to Melanie that he was leading her to the Knights of Favonius Headquarters until they were at the main entrance. Instantly, she froze in her place, planting her feet and refusing to take another step. Her arms dropped to her side, and a scowl twisted her face.

Albedo noticed her departure, stopping in front of the door with his hand on the wood. He furrowed his brows. He stepped away from the entrance and took her hands in his, kissing them gently. "You'll be okay," he told her, though he had no idea what he was promising.

Melanie looked away, her eyes narrowing. He didn't understand why she hated the Knights, all that he knew was the hostility was there. The pressure increased gradually when he turned her face toward his and gazed into her eyes, his teal orbs glowing with understanding.

"I promise you, it'll be okay."

"How can you?"

"Because you're with me and nobody questions my justice without hesitation."

She softened her expression, sighing in defeat. Her arm was taken by his hand, allowing him to lead her away. Albedo did, for a moment, but once the doors were open, she was the only one in control of her legs.