Chapter 24 - Reassurance

Now playing:
I Hear A Symphony - Cody Fry
0:01 ❍─────── 3:05
↻ ⊲ Ⅱ ⊳ ↺

Albedo's warmth slowly rejuvenated her weary form. While she still had a splitting headache and her shoulder ached painfully, the rest of her body felt back under control. He still held her close, breathing slowly with his grip on her tight. Something told her his fear of losing her was heightened, making her heart ache.

"How are you feeling?" he asked her quietly, looking ahead at the unknown. The man was likely lost in his world of fears, only a fraction away from coming true.

Melanie opened her eyes and lifted her head, only to have it tucked back in by his hand. She didn't protest, mainly because she was too exhausted to do so, but she let him have his way after everything she'd done.

"Better, thanks to you," she replied. "I feel warm and safe, loved and cherished."

"Remember that."

A wet droplet splashed onto her face. It slowly dripped down her cheek, leaving behind a trail of salt water. She looked up, this time able to keep her head free of his chest. Instantly, she hugged him tight, resisting the urge to wince with the sudden jerking of her shoulder.

He quickly wiped his face with his arm, trying to hide his tears, but she had already seen them. Melanie had never seen Albedo cry or even come close to it. He was always so calm and composed, able to keep a smile in most situations with his cool nature. But now, he was falling apart because of her.

"Hey... talk to me..." she said to him, rolling onto her back to make eye contact with him with ease. His arm automatically pulled her closer and rested against her, always keeping her close; always making sure she was with him. "Albedo?"

Albedo visibly hesitated but swallowed back the little pride he currently had, allowing the tears to fall and the words to flow. He closed his eyes, sealing his teal eyes behind the pale lids. She watched him flip onto his back as well, yet as he did, his hand intertwined with hers. The birthmark on his neck glowed dully, barely even enough for her to spot it on his topless body under the blanket.

"What is there to say?"

Melanie furrowed her brows to form lines on her forehead. "There's always something to say, Albedo."

He chuckled softly and opened his eyes, releasing a tear. "You would be correct." The grip on her hand increased. "I was confused when I awoke to an empty bed. At first, I thought you were simply out for a walk, but your jacket was still here. It's not like you to leave without it, especially with the incoming weather. I couldn't find tracks or anything."

"The wind covered them," she murmured thoughtfully. "And I went over the bridge because I knew you wouldn't look that way."

"I didn't believe you'd go that way after how it ended last time. Instantly, I blamed myself for your absence. Relationships are... quite troublesome. Once you establish a relation with someone, you must continue to maintain it; if you lose contact, you must reestablish the relation." Albedo turned his head to meet her gaze. "I don't know if that could ever have been possible with you."

Melanie tilted her head. "What have you done to wrong me?"

He fell silent, struggling to find an answer that didn't exist.

"Nothing, Albedo. You did nothing."

"Then why did you run?"

She bit down on her lip, looking away from him to stare blankly at the ceiling. Previously, he gave her the option to remain silent and keep her answer hidden. Now he wanted to hear an answer to his burning question. She didn't blame him, but it still hurt to hear.