Chapter 1 - The Coat

Now playing: 
Love Songs - Bonus - Kaash Paige
0:01 ❍─────── 2:28
↻ ⊲ Ⅱ ⊳ ↺

It was peaceful on the snowy cliffs of Dragonspine. The wind blew past her bitterly, sinking its cold claws into her bones. Though she wore two different coats, she still felt the elements. The girl's pale hands pulled her lover's coat over her shoulders and she shivered. Melanie had been through worse in Dragonspine, but this still bothered her.

The coat she wore on top was longer in length and adorned with the Knight of Favonia's emblem. It had shorter sleeves cuffed with black fabric similar to the hood. Gold clips covered the coat's opening and pushed against her skin, chilling it further. She buried her nose into it, breathing in the warm scent.

Her blue eyes shimmered in the dull light pushing through the thick clouds. An ash-blonde male crouched down in the snow by a large tree in the center of the clearing. He flicked the glowing red mineral at the center of its cracked exterior. A chisel appeared from within his pant pocket and he chipped at it experimentally.

A small piece fell onto the ground, carefully being swooped into a vial within a blink of an eye. Now smiling, the alchemist turned and approached the bag resting beside her. He set the vial gently in a protective casing, closed the bag with a tiny click, and swung it over his shoulder.

"Albedo..." she whined, a puff of hot air being expelled into the air.

He turned to look at her, his smile growing more. His gloved hand rubbed her shoulder lovingly and his smile grew. "We can test this with Sucrose when we return to Mondstadt," he told her.

Melanie frowned, looking down at her blue-cuffed boots. She fiddled with the silver buckles and sighed, releasing another puff. Shaking her head, she shrugged off his coat and offered it back to him. Confusion dulled his teal eyes when he took it back.

"Weren't we going to explore a bit more first, you know, just the two of us?"

Albedo tapped his chin in thought. "Yes, I remember the idea being proposed. I do not know the current time, so it may be best if we return." He took a seat beside her and draped his arm over her shoulder, resting his head against her.

In response, she tilted her head slightly, contacting him. For a few minutes, they sat together in this position, enjoying each other's warmth and safety. Melanie's eyes drooped closed, a small smile tugging at her lips. She gave in.

"Okay. We can return." She quickly planted a kiss on the top of his head before he could shift away from her. Albedo blushed a deep pink and retracted his arm from her shoulder, turning his face away; however, he was unsuccessful in his mission. Melanie giggled lightly. "I see you!"

Albedo stood up, chuckling softly to himself. "You've done it again." He offered a hand to her, his eyes glowing with happiness. If only it was always this way between the two. She took his hand and walked beside him on the path back to Mondstadt.

Like her vision, their relationship grew cold at times. Whenever she wanted to spend time with the alchemist, he was always tending to an experiment or researching with the shy assistant, Sucrose. The thought of the petite girl sitting next to him bothered Melanie greatly.

Her lover treated her well when she had his limited attention. Soft kisses, cuddles, and words of advice were offered whenever they were together. Melanie tried her best to spend time with Albedo, but it didn't always feel like enough. A few hours out of the week together deprived her of the affection she craved from him.

The snow crunched audibly under their feet as they walked side by side, hand in hand. These gestures were nice, but who wouldn't want more? A strong gust of wind made the girl shiver. Albedo noticed this and offered out his coat to her again. She accepted with a quiet 'thank you' and continued to walk with him.

Mondstadt appeared in front of them quicker than expected. By now, she had his coat draped over her arm and he had released her hand to fiddle with the strap of his bag. He was always so quick to hide his affection towards her...

As they passed through the entrance to the town, dozens of people greeted him with respect. The small owner of the flower shop waved cheerfully, proceeding to ask if he needed any flowers. Melanie was a bit surprised when he bought a bouquet of Windwheel Asters.

Melanie accepted the bouquet with a small blush, burying her nose into the soft orange petals of the flowers. Her lover chuckled softly beside her, gently urging her onward with a slight squeeze on her shoulder. Of course, he didn't want to be in public for much longer. Nobody wanted to be seen with her.

"It's a lovely day, isn't it?" She asked when they neared the Knights of Favonius Headquarters. The moment had to last forever. She couldn't let it go yet.

Albedo began to ascend the stairs. Sucrose waited nervously for the Chief Alchemist at the top. Melanie intimidated her, and she loved that. He turned around and winked at her. "Of course. The afternoon is the best time of day. I'll see you in the morning?"

Melanie put on a false smile and nodded. He turned away and continue to his destination, but the sudden weight of his coat in her hands alerted her. "Wait!" she called quickly. "Your coat!"

For the second time, her lover turned to look at her. "Keep it," he said with a smile, and finally disappeared inside of the building.

The girl stood dumbfounded at the bottom of the stairs. She could keep his coat? Looking down at it, she drew her fingers around the delicate designs of the fabric. It was brought up to her nose, and she inhaled his scent with pleasure.

Melanie turned away from the headquarters with a smile on her face, content with the conclusion of the day's events. Now she had to get back to her friends and make sure they weren't getting themselves into trouble, for Archons know what they were up to without her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello! Thank you so much for reading the first chapter of 'Chemical Romance'! This is my first time writing these types of things, so comments are appreciated so I can improve in the future!

Question of the chapter:
What is your most prized possession?

Hello! Thank you so much for reading the first chapter of 'Chemical Romance'! This is my first time writing these types of things, so comments are appreciated so I can improve in the future!Question of the chapter:What is your most prized possession?