| 𝐃𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐊𝐢𝐧𝐠 |

Start from the beginning

My question changed his angered expression into a weak discomforted look. He gave a look to his side, avoiding eye contact with me.

"Are you okay?" I asked him.

He hesitated to give a response. He let out a heavy sigh and looked back up at me with a frown. Before he could give a response, a knock disrupted our conversation. Bowser instantly straightened up.

"Sounds like your people need you." I said.

He gave a silent nod, then faced forward. I picked back up my notepad, prepared to take notes.

I spent the next few days taking notes on Bowser, his henchmen, and how a regular day looked like here.

I couldn't forget the hurt look Bowser had on his face. It's the saddest I've ever seen him. Not that he showed his emotions often. As tempted as I was, I couldn't bring myself to bring the topic back up to him.

Tonight, Junior was hanging out in my room.

"Well, how did it go?" Junior asked me.

"Honestly, not that bad. I'm just not sure how he's going to take my feedback." I answered.

"I'm sure he won't be too mad. You're his favorite "prisoner"."

"Maybe, but that doesn't mean he'll take what I have to say lightly."

"I mean, he's letting the brother of his arch enemy roam around the castle. It can't go that bad."

"Hm...You got a point there."

"My father's never let anyone watch him work. He has to like something about you."

Junior's words managed to calm my nerves a little. Still, Bowser was probably the most short tempered person I've ever met in my life.

That night, a couple of koopa came to my room and told me that Bowser was ready to see me. I grabbed my notepad, changed into more of the royal attire Bowser gave to me, and followed the two koopa. I feel I was finally getting a bit used to the castle.

I was escorted to the dining hall.

"Here you are, sir." The koopa said, holding the door opened for me.

"He's in here?" I asked.

"This is where he arranged to meet you." The koopa answered.

I thanked him and headed inside. When I entered, I spotted Bowser staring at the same painting Junior was crying in front of a few days ago.

I walked up to Bowser, and stood alongside him silently.

"You know, I haven't been in this part of the castle for years." Bowser said in a low but gentle tone.

"Junior told me you haven't hosted an event at the castle since he was born. Is that true?"

"Yes it is." He nodded, not taking his eyes off the painting."He looks so much younger here. I didn't realize how much of his growth I missed until the two of you brought it to my attention."

He let out a sigh as he now faced the ground.

"What if it's too late to fix my relationship with my son?"

A look full of regret filled his face. It felt so strange to see the large koopa so emotionally vulnerable. He seemed like the type to keep his feelings to himself, yet he was letting himself feel his emotions around me.

Something about the look in his eye made me feel like he wanted to be comforted but couldn't bring himself to ask. I gently took hold of his large hands.