| 𝐀 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐥 |

Start from the beginning

Junior peaked out alongside. We both spotted Bowser walking down the hall. We silently watched as he walked, looking as if he was in deep thought. He walked right past the room we were in.

"Looks like he's headed to the throne room." Junior said.

"That was a close call." I sighed in relief.

"We're lucky he didn't notice the knocked out guard."

" Yeah... Well, let's not stop here. Let's see what else we can find."

"Hmp, I'm surprised you're not suggesting we quit while we're ahead."

"Like you said, it's too late to turn back. We're all in on this one." I said which brought a smile to his face.

He seemed like he didn't get opportunities like this often. After hearing he hasn't had a party since he was born, I felt I owed him this. He was bossy, but adorable at the same time.

"Alright, where are we off to next?" I asked him.

"Follow me." He smiled.

I followed behind him, both of us scurrying across the halls. We stopped at another door.

"I always wondered what was in this room." He said.

I began testing all the keys until one eventually fit and unlocked the door. When we opened it, we instantly froze when we saw the general sitting at his desk. His shocked face quickly turned into one of anger.

I shut the door and the two of us took off running.

"I thought you said he'd be asleep!" I said.

"I said he's usually asleep! Usually!" He corrected me.

"Where do we go?"

"This way!"

I followed behind the tiny koopa. I looked back to see the general running in our direction. We ran up a set of stairs, and continued running straight forward.

"Use the fire flower!" Junior commanded.

I gave a nod, pulling it out and absorbing its power. I turned around and made a firewall to stop the general in his path. I then continued to follow behind Junior.

He stopped in front of a large red door.

"In here!" He pointed.

I quickly began testing all the keys we haven't tried yet until one worked. After opening the door, we proceeded to run in and lock it behind us. Junior then grabbed a chair, and pushed it against the door knob.

"That should do for now." He smiled."Come on, I wanna show you something."

I followed behind him, looking around the room. I saw multiple neatly set up round tables with chairs around them.

The room had beautiful chandeliers hanging from the top of the room. I used the power of the fire flower to help Junior light the unlit candles.

"Is this the dining hall?" I asked him.

"Yeah." He said.

Junior suddenly stopped in his tracks, staring up at a large portrait hanging on the wall in a golden picture frame. It looked to be a painting of Bowser having his son sit on his lap.

Junior looked a good bit younger in the portrait. I looked down at Junior, who now had a troubled look on his face.

"Was this painted on the night of your only birthday party?" I asked him.

"Yeah." He slowly nodded.

"Is this why you wanted to get into the dining hall so badly? "

"Yeah... I vaguely remember my dad ordering some of the guards to hang the painting in here. We haven't hosted an event here for years so I never got to see the painting again. Most of the time, my dad keeps me in my room to keep me out of the guards' way."