𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟎

     No one ever expects this day

No one ever expects this day. Of course they have thought about it. Maybe even had a nightmare or two about it. But I sure as hell couldn't have predicted it would come, not for me. The moment I saw the thick yellow package on my desk, my heart rate increased exponentially.

I knew what was to come from inside that package. A large stack of pages faced me boldly as I pulled them from their casing. My suspicions were correct when the word 'divorce' was written all throughout the pile.

     Diana Knight had grown the balls to file for divorce. I never imagined it. I thought I would have her forever. Of course, I pestered and pushed her to this breaking point, but I didn't know that it was this close. So close that we had already broken.

     Maybe it was the way I acted in Paris. My turn on the dime mood swings can be thanked for that. I know I fucked up. I had taken her there to provoke a healing in our relationship not more distress. It had worked as well. We were brought back together by trusting each other, especially in the club with Autumn. If I would have asked her to do such a thing, she would have shied away from her true thoughts about it and rejected the idea. But instead, I surprised her with the place and she trusted me enough to enjoy herself that night.

     I didn't go there for my own purposes, I went there for her. She needed to feel something after experiencing only numbness for far too long, the majority of that hurt being from my doing.

     The next morning I woke to her by my side. Her warmth welcomed me home and I knew that I could never leave her. No matter how many times I fuck up. I would always have to come back to her. If she would have me back, that is. This time I don't feel like that's possible.

     That same morning when she came out of the bedroom of the hotel, she yelled my name. After dealing with all of the bullshit that the press had put out the night prior, I had almost forgot that there was anyone else in the suite with me. I'm so used to being alone on business trips that I couldn't come out of that mindset before I was startled by her.