CHAPTER 6: PLAYING WITH FIRE 🔥

Start from the beginning

This place looks like something from Gatsby’s era.  Everything is dressed in cascading folds of white and gold, and there are enough tables and chairs to accommodate hundreds, when we’ve only got a gathering of fifty or more.

My eyes are poised on the beautiful girl standing high on the patio stairs as she engages in idle conversation, never looking toward me.  She can’t be that immune to me.

I don’t know how I missed it coming on, but I’m suddenly tipping forward as my shin slams into something hard.  I flail my arms like an absolute idiot as I crash and splash into the concrete fountain, which is spewing a shower of sheer humiliation.

Fucking shit.

The cold water bites at me as the faces on the coins at the bottom of the fountain ridicule me with their smiles.  I jerk my face free from the knee-high water that has managed to thoroughly drench me in front of the whole damn party.

As the laughter roars free, I play it off by taking a bow, and join in by laughing as well - though I’d rather find a place to hide for the rest of the weekend.

My eyes fall on the dark-haired, spellbinding beauty that sent me to my moment of defeat, and she lets her giggles free while shaking her head.

Great.

There goes everything else I had going for me.  She’s fucking impossible, and I just need to move on before I lose every bit of my confidence - a feat I never thought possible before this night.

“Shawn, what’s wrong with you tonight, bro?” Lebron  chuckles as I try wringing my shirt out.

My eyes glance back up at the girl who gives me a playful wink before returning to her previous conversation that was only briefly interrupted by my embarrassing flop.

“I wish I fucking knew,” I gripe under my breath while slipping off the drenched jacket.  “Obviously, I need to go change now.  See you when the fireworks start up.”

Lebron  continues his taunting laughter as I head up the steps where my pretty little distraction is still engaged in meaningless conversation.  Chilli runs up to me before I top the steps, a small giggle exuding from her throat.

“Shawn, what happened?”

I couldn't walk and gawk at the same time.

“A fountain jumped out in front of me.  I gotta get changed.”

***

Beyoncé

It’s obvious Chilli has a bigger crush on Shawn than she does on Usher.  For some odd reason, I feel a little pang of jealously as she flirts with him.  He doesn’t seem to reciprocate, thankfully.

“Well, come find us for the fireworks,” Chilli says as Usher walks up behind her, his eyes narrowing at Shawn.

“Sure,” Shawn says as his eyes find mine.

I smile as I see the water still dripping heavily from him.

“Shawn Carter, you better not leak puddles all over my floors,” Viola  playfully chimes in.

“I’ll strip down in the foyer, if you like,” he jokes, offering her a wink.

Viola  laughs, shaking her head as she does so.  I don’t mean to, but I blush.  I’m hoping the night sky is enough to shadow my red tale.

He walks away, water trailing him to show all of his leaking humiliation, but I commend him for handling it with such grace.  If I had crashed into a fountain in front of everyone, I would have gone home.