daddy dearest does something stupid (so do i)

Start from the beginning

     I rolled my eyes, "Please. I don't wanna be friends. And we both know you enjoy being an asshole."

     We relocate to another motel across the city by nightfall, and even though I'm already hungry again and the only meal I ate that day was at the restaurant, I don't say anything. I'm kept entertained for awhile with talking to Ivory on the phone. I purposely don't tell her anything that could jeopardize her or us— and I gotta say, she has a certain charm even over text. She's flirty, but you can tell it's just her personality and not because she's directly flirting with me. Why the Hell would she, given the text I opened up with?

     I found out that she's indeed an ice fairy, living up north in the Arctic, and she works at the restaurant on weekends. She has to work for what she has because her parents don't help her out at all and she moved out last February, her eighteenth birthday. She's a month older than me.

     Anyway, we're both tired and Trevor turns on the television because we have nothing better to do. It opens to the news channel, where the first thing we see is a picture of the King of The Seas with the headline 'Mermaid King captured by humans.' Would it be selfish of me to say that my first thought was, 'serves that bitch right '?

     I'm just saying— first me and Trevor made the news, and have whole articles being written about us— now this. Maybe the merpeople aren't as boring as I and the world thought.

     Anyway, my second thoughts were connecting the dots as to how this all happened. Well one, karma. Two, also karma because he was making war plans with Earth because of pollution and I guess he acted on them too fast. Bit of an emotional decision if you ask me. Three, the demons.

     I see Trevor looking over at me, I guess waiting for me to process this turn of events. Well, at least I won't be totally bored out of my mind and some action is going on.

     But my face is stoney and the first thing I say is, "We have to save him."

     "You know the demons are doing this to draw us out of hiding, right?"

     "Well, they're smarter than I thought they were, then."

     "You're going to fall for the bait?"

     I turn around to face him, my eyes blazing and my voice dangerously calm, "He's my father, in case you forgot." When I see that this has little effect on him, I begin to wonder if he ever had anybody that he cared about in his entire life.

     Maybe we were similar in that sense, before I rose to the surface.

     If I'm being totally honest, I don't care about my father. Even after I came into land, I couldn't muster up the 'love' that I have for my mother and my sisters towards him.

     But, if I save him, maybe I'll be redeemed in the eyes of my kingdom for breaking Trevor out of jail. Maybe I'll be the prince again. Anyway, I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to have my trident right now, the more that I think about it. And you may be wondering, 'why doesn't he just destroy the trident?' or, 'why doesn't he just leave it under the sea?'

     Well, doing that wouldn't ensure Trevor's safety, and the demons would probably make it a point to make me suffer if I did either one of those things. At least if I have it, I can defend myself.

     "What do you expect him to do after you save him? Forgive you?"

     "What do you expect to get with that outfit?"

     "Laid." By who? He rolled his eyes, "Fine. But I'm going to rub it in your face when I have to save your ass." I gave him a humorless laugh as I took my trident out of my pocket and transformed it to its real size. I continued to stare at the screen as I got dressed and ready.