Chapter Eleven

I simply stood in front of the door while holding my gym bag and a bag of crisps in each hand. Jake knocks on the door as I shake my head and observe. Because of some unknown reason, I lose control of my gym bag as my heart rate rises.

The same minute the door opens, my eyes glance up and my mother gives a bright smile as she wraps her arms around Jake. "Oh, I missed you! Aidan, you've grown so much!"

With them both in her grasp, she looks up and locks eyes with me. Her hands slowly slither away from them, they both gently shift away from her.

"You killed him! You killed my husband! It should have been you!!"

My body begins shaking, my eyes begin watering and my lips begin quivering.

"Mum it was a long drive, let's go get ready to eat." Jake whispers, she tries to come towards me, but my reflexes cause me to take a couple steps back. Only Aidan noticed that Jake was slipping his shoes off and sliding his jacket off. Mum hesitates to do anything else.

"Right...of course come in." She whispers, opening the door wider for us.

Jake looks back, Aidan joins him and now I feel as if the whole world is staring at me. Though it was only three of them, my palms begin to sweat.

"Charlie bear-"

"Don't call me that." I whisper.

"It was all my fault..."

"Yes, it was, he never deserved such a reckless daughter."

"Come in Charlie, it's cold." She is making this look as if I am the one against wanting to have a relationship, she's making me look like the villain by being so kind to me in front of Aidan and Jake.

This was a mistake; I shouldn't have come.

"Get out! Get out of my fucking house!"

It's funny, how much she's changed since I've last seen her. She's no longer the drunk mum who punished me for something I did, who never helped me when I needed her, I needed to grieve as well.

She didn't even let me come to the funeral...

Aidan's eyes lock with mine, and suddenly- he gave me a soft nod.

"I think me, and Charlie should stay in a hotel tonight. We have a match soon, and we need to be closer to a pitch. But after tonight we'll come back." Jake looks between the two of us, his brows raising.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, we'll be back first thing tomorrow."

Thankful doesn't even explain how much I feel for Aidan, Jake has no clue what mums done to me- he doesn't know the behind the scenes but for some reason Aidan understood. He saw something Jake didn't. He saw my hurt-my pain.

"Oh okay, I'll stay with mum, text me both if you need anything." Jake would have come but then mum would be all alone.

Mum was about to say something, but I grab my gym bag and walk to the car. "Thank you, Aidan, please watch out for her." Funny for her to start acting like a mum.

Aidan unlocks the car; I quickly slip inside the passenger seat and stare at the wheel.

"Charlie bear! Yes! You did it!" His arms wrap around my neck as he pushes me in for a big bear hug, I laugh into his embrace.

"I did it! I'm captain of the England team!"

"I knew you could Charlie bear, I'm so proud of you. So, fucking proud of you."