Chapter Twenty Five

Start from the beginning

"How is it torturing humans?" Manfred asked with so much excitement Estio, Devlin — and I couldn't help but look at him with concern. His dark eyes glowed with such fervor that they burned my own. This kid needed an exorcism.

The corners of Lucifer's lips curled into a devious smirk. "Though tiresome at times, it's an exhilarating job, if I may admit it. Torturing the evil or the sinful is worthwhile. However, it needs someone creative, heartless for the most part, and devoted to hard tasks. On top of it, the end-of-year bonus is very attractive."

Spoken like a true sadist. He was probably turning himself on as he spoke those words of cruelty, lunacy, and sinisterness. This man was the definition of evil itself. I didn't dare roll my eyes in fear that I'd probably lose one if he caught me in action.

"Anyway," with a quick lick of his lips, he continued, "I heard you caused quite the scene at Desidia during the Great Ball. Lady Hepler and Madame Sharq were left in very poor conditions, so that made me curious about you, and I decided to come to see you for myself, in the flesh."

"Why?" Devlin interjected himself into the conversation. Although his eyes weren't glowing, I could hear the subtle anger and trepidation in his voice. He, like me, didn't like where this conversation was going.

"You're not here to eat me, are you? Because I'm sorry, but I'm not going out of this world as some delicacy for anyone's consumption," I said, reaching for my pocketknife.

A boisterous laughter erupted from Lucifer's throat, which sent chills down my spine. "Oh, trust me. If I wanted to devour you, you'd already be nothing but a pile of cold blood."

"Then why are you here?" Devlin and I simultaneously screamed at him, shocking everyone, including the Original Devil himself.

He laid back his head and calmly stated, "I don't know yet. At the moment, I'm just curious. But don't you worry; my reason for intrusion will reveal itself in due course."

"That's reassuring," Devlin grumbled, obviously annoyed at his open-ended answer.

I had had about enough. Without another word from anyone, I stood up and stormed off. My red eyes radiated with rage and annoyance as I stomped through several halls. I kept going until I found myself on a balcony looking down on a long, beautiful, cerulean swimming pool.

First, Manfred and Estio show up to ruin my mood. Now Satan wants to hang out with me? Oh, Jesus, why do I exist? This was supposed to be me and Devlin's time to unwind, but instead, I was babysitting a demon, trying not to get killed by a commander, and trying not to fall for Lucifer's devious little scheme. For Christ's sake, all I wanted was some time off from the craziness. Was that too much to ask?

Apparently, it was, and the next few days would prove it.

Anger boiled in me like a furnace on the brink of exploding. My auburn skin had started growing black and golden scales, and my hair had turned as white as freshly fallen snow. Things were escalating fast, but I refused to let my vexation get the best of me. I refused to let them have the satisfaction of knowing that they had pissed me off.

I couldn't tell you when I had stripped myself down to my stringy underwear. All I could recall was that a jump later, my feet were on the marbled rail, and a bunch of terrified screams and yelps filled the space behind me. However, I paid no attention to them and leaped off the railing into the clear, periwinkle skies.

All the built-up frustrations in me vanished the second I took off. For a moment, I was truly free. For a moment, I was genuinely happy to be alive. But just like my reality, it didn't last forever.

My body dropped. Fast and sharp, the wind blew hard against my delicate skin as I sliced through the still air. I felt myself collide with the pool's waves a few split seconds later. It was a strong, painful force as my hands slipped in first, a massive splash flooded my ears, and then my body was engulfed by the refreshingly cool waters.