"One more masquerade, perhaps?"

Hannuri stepped onto the ballroom, the expensive dress unfitting to her body

Hannuri stepped onto the ballroom, the expensive dress unfitting to her body. The blue fabric perfectly complimenting the marble and gold decorations of the room, her gloved hands uneasily being placed on Jaemins arms. Thank god this time Jaemin was able to come with her.

"I need to go to speak with my father. Don't run off to far. Remember you're my wife for tonight"

"How could I possibly forget. Hana, engaged to Na Jaemin of the Na family, son of the cities minister. I'm 20 years old, have parents that are shareholders of the Na business and have a scholar sister currently working overseas" Hannuri recited her fake identity like it was second nature

"Perfect" Jaemin leant close to her ear "Only a couple hours and it'll be over, fighting"

She rolled her eyes, laughing as she pushed Jaemin away from her. At a distance, Renjun's eyes pierced into the duo. He recognised the mask the girls as wearing immediately—the owner of the white rose. Renjun could not bring himself to return the rose back to its owner as then he would lose an excuse to talk to this mysterious woman. Renjun wasn't feeling too pleasant over noticing the close intimacy between the white rose girl and another rich man.

Renjun still gathered the courage to approach her, a wine glass in hand.

"We meet again" Renjun started the conversation, placing his wine glass next to hers. Hannuri seemed to be taken aback by the sudden approach of the man she vaguely remembered from last masquerade.

"Of course" She replied, scanning him up and down. Hannuri noticed something, this time. It was the meticulously designed pattern that was lightly sewed onto his suit. It reminded her so much of the pattern that Renjun often wore on his suits.

"Are you perhaps related to the Huang family?" She asked boldly, ignoring all masquerade rules.

Renjun chuckled, taking a sip of the alcohol "Huang Renjun at your service, ma'am"

Hannuri almost spat out the wine. Standing right in front of her was her boss, and the same person who would do anything to make her life miserable. Renjun's attitude here was so divorced from his usual carelesss demeanour that Hannuri thought there was no way this could be the same Renjun.

"You are?" Renjun asked.

"Uh" Her voice started trembling "Han-"

"Did you get hurt?" Renjun lessened the distance between the two, pointing at the growing bruise near her jawline.

"Ah" She covered it with her hands "Bumped into the wall"

"With your neck?"

"It happens"

Music sounded and the duos conversation was cut off short. Jaemin returned to her side, furrowing his eyebrows at the sight of Renjun.

"You are...?" Jaemin's voice trailed off, though this time, Renjun was much more hesitant to introduce himself. They were all dismissing the whole point of a masquerade—concealing one's identity. Before anyone had a chance to speak, loud music boomed over the atmosphere, signalling to everyone the ball was about to start. Jaemin basically tugged at Hannuri's hand to come with him, dragging her as far away from Renjun as possible.

"I'm telling you, he's not good news" Jaemin shivered, clutching Hannuri's hand in his as she placed a hand on his neck as the routine began.

"Jaemin, that's not even the worse part" Hannuri stared at Jaemin "That's my boss"

"From work?"

"From the stupid mansion. I work directly for him"

Jaemin almost toppled over, thank god Hannuri had a firm grip on him.

"Do you want to work for me? I'll give you the best conditions and you can just pretend to work for me but in reality all you have to do-"

"Shut it" She laughed "I'm not going to scam you for your money"

The routine continued with the gentle classical music playing in the ambience of the background. The two held hands, moving in, then out, spinning as they danced upon the tips of their feet.

"Ive so tired already" Hannuri complained, clutching onto Jaemins fingers

"I swear this is the last masquerade"

"It better be" She spun away, tapping gently to the music, using every bone in her body to not topple over her heels. At the sound of the switch in music, she met her new partner, which was conveniently Renjun.

"I didn't get your name before" Renjun smirked, his charismatic smile dazzling under the chandeliers torch. She couldn't look at him the same again, knowing he was her boss. Uncomfortably, she nodded a polite response, auto-piloting to the music in and attempt to hide her awkwardness.

"Which family are you from? I'd like to get to know you better. You know, the families have been considering the marriage of their sons. It's quite urgent actually" Renjun's smooth words felt uncomfortable in her ear. She could tell Renjun was interested in her, more so interested in what she looked like under the mask. You could call it love at first sight— Renjun felt a sort of attraction towards her the moment their finger tips touched.

She bit her bottom lip, unable to reply. Casually brushing off the question, she spun away from him, simply leaving him with the word "Guess" before finding a new partner. Slipping away from the dance floor, she clambered to the table, taking a deep breath to compose herself—she wanted so badly to get out of this situation. Jaemin suddenly grabbed her arm, dragging her in front of a middle aged man. He wore a bushy beard that dominated most of his face, a elegant top hat hiding his strands of grey hair. His eyes twinkled like an old professor, his hands holding his cane steadily.

"You must be Hana, Jaemin talks an awful lot about you" The man started the conversation eloquently, a husk behind his words.

"Nice to meet you sir" The rehearsed lines flashed in her head, but she could not hide the shake in her voice. In suiting of the situation, she took off her mask, bowing low to her senior.

"I don't like to beat around the bush, Hana" Jaemins dad annunciated "When will the wedding be held?"