Chapter 4: Double Trouble

I invited Mary, and she accepted. 

Mary has lived in luxury all her life, going from the French court to the English Court and being both of the king's mistresses (she had a type clearly). We spent our girlhood in France and Francis treated her like she was the only girl in the world. Gifting her gowns, jewels and even a warship named after her rich lovers. Things William Stafford couldn't afford I must say. Mary isn't easily pushed into acting quiet, in France I could sit alone with my book and she would burst into the room loud as always. 

I wonder and secretly hope Mary regrets her choice. It was clear when my beloved and only sister Mary was shown into her chamber. I have more confidence. I hope she and Henry forgot about what they did in the past. That day will be about my son of course. 

*

Me and George get news that she has arrived and we both hurry off to where she is, George being ahead of me and me dragging my feet after him. He runs so fast I could never do that even if I didn't give birth a day or so ago. 

She is chubby then I imagined to say in a nice way, but her image still remains the same oval face that I remember well. Her skin is paler than before I believe. Clothes being my favourite style I must say, the French style. Me and George are both shocked at her not seeing her in a while. My mother, father or uncle haven't said her name in ages. 

"I see you have gained some fat, Mary." I pointed out harshly, what was I meant to do? I sort of hate her currently. I smile though forcing it. Mary laughed, she played with her blue embroidery. "I guess so." She drags out of her mouth.

"Are your children well?" I haven't seen her since she was pregnant with her second child.  

"They are, thank you." She clears her throat "Henry is doing great. I'm glad you found a splendid tutor for him." She fiddles with her pocket and me and George look at each other with the same look on our face, confusion. "He has written a letter for you, in French. I told him you would like that." Mary puts a white letter in front of me.

It reminds me of when Henry would send me letters upon letters to me, embarrassingly getting more explicit and hungry every time.

I take the letter. Henry has good French I must say. I look back at her,

"Your daughters?"

"Katherine is growing more beautiful and intelligent by the day. She wants to be in court one day, she dotes on baby Anne. We can't afford someone to cradle her unfortunately. Katherine cares for her, well." 

"You don't seem to lack money, Mary." I shoot at her. She nods and fiddles the sleeves. George looks at me and holds my arm trying to make me stop but I break away from his contact. "It was a gift.." she mutters. Who would give her such a rich and beautiful dress? 

"From who?" Mary and George's eyes meet and I notice what's going on.

"George? Did you give it to her?" George looks at me nervous, then nods.

At this point they are both teasing me! I only allowed her to come because she is the auntie and it's the heir and whatever! Then George gives her a fabulous dress to come in? He knows how reluctant I was to invite her in the first place.

*

My aunt, Duchess of Norfolk. She refused to come to Elizabeth's christening. Now she is at the center of Prince Henry's. Against my consent. Sometimes I wish I just born normal, not a daughter of some stupid noble. I do love my life and Queen and I'm sure someone would die to swap with me but it's just too stressful, last decade I was just a naive young girl. Now I'm the Queen of England with two children and a husband who injured his leg recently and sleeps around with some court woman, still.

Aunt Norfolk holds Prince Henry wiping tears of joy. "Bless the child, in God's name and the virgin Mary." I blink I am not really paying attention. All I know is I am with my Aunt and son. I'm my chamber's. Still very confused I take Henry back in my arms slowly nodding and my aunt looks very disturbed. I hear George laughing so I shout his name then I hear fast footsteps as he runs away. Partner in crime, probably doing a crime.