Chapter 37 - Maddie

Chapter 37 – Maddie

When I opened my eyes, it was just starting to get bright in my room. Kellan's arms were still secured around me, where they belonged, and I turned my head as quietly as possible to watch him sleep for a few minutes.

As long as you're here, everything is always gonna be okay.

I placed my lips against his and held them there. Within a few seconds, he was moving his against mine, and our hands were reaching for each other.

"Kellan."

We stopped kissing and I giggled. "You kept the text message alert I made for you?"

He smiled meekly. "Well, yeah, it sounds really hot, don't you think? But if that's not you texting me, who is? Because no one else really texts me anymore, except maybe one of the kids from LGBTQ club at school. We supposed to meet them at the café today?"

He reached over to my nightstand and grabbed his phone. From the immediate ashen expression, I doubted it was one of those kids.

"Oh, no. It's my mom. She wants to talk this morning." He looked at me and his droopy cheeks broke my heart. "I have to go, but I'll come right back, I promise."

I looked down at the small space between our bodies, the little rainbow unicorns on my sheets smiling at me.

"Hey," I said in a tiny voice. "Can I come with you?"

I felt him tense. "Are you sure? My mom isn't like your parents. It's..." I glanced up and his eyes were shut, a deep crease running across his forehead. "It's not the same. She could be drunk for all I know. I have no idea what she really wants, or why she's back in town already."

I touched his cheek. "I know, we've talked about it a little bit. And I know what I might be walking into. But you walk into everything with me without blinking. I want to be there for you. Let me come, okay?"

He opened his eyes and swallowed. "Okay. I'll tell her we'll be there in an hour. I know you need time for your makeup and everything."

I kissed him for being a sweetie. "Aww, you know me so well. An hour isn't much, but I can work with that. I'll meet you downstairs."

I showered quickly and then straightened my hair, contemplating my makeup and outfit the entire time. I decided on wearing a little beige dress and pairing it with leggings and flats. I never wore this kind of crap but I knew I'd get a rise out of Kellan and that always felt good. Plus, even I had to admit going girly girl here and there was fun.

Throttling back on my normal gallon of eyeliner, half a palette of eyeshadow approach, I opted instead for what Destiny called the feminine routine: heavy on the contour, light on the accessories. I chose a copper eyeshadow that Kellan had never seen me in before, and a brown eyeliner I'd never used. I finished off with a dab of highlighter down the center of my nose and looked in the mirror.

I looked more feminine that I ever had before and the intense euphoria shocked me. I still preferred my metal look because that was me, but I'd keep this in my back pocket. I could see me in this style for a fancy dinner with Kellan or for opening night at one of Charlotte's plays.

Kellan and Charlotte were sitting on the couch playing Super Smash Bros. when I came down the stairs. They didn't hear me approach.

"Whose winning?" I asked. Kellan turned to me and dropped his controller along with his jaw.

"Thanks for the distraction, sis. Beatcha again! Ha!... ohhh... wow Maddie, clean up good, much?" Charlotte said.

Kellan got up, banging his knee on the corner of the couch as he came closer to me, his eyes never leaving me, moving vertical and slow.

"Whoa," he whispered.

I soaked it in, not going to lie. "You like, huh?"

He nodded eagerly. "Yeah..."

"Well, good. But don't get too used to it, because it's a once-in-a-while thing. I feel naked without my skinny jeans."

"Maddie you look like a little American Girl doll. You're so cute! Can I take a picture?" Charlotte asked.

I batted my eyelashes at her. "Why, of course."

We had our fun, taking way too many ridiculous pictures together, which I'm sure went straight to Char's Instagram feed in less than ten seconds after we left. Even mom made a big fuss about how cute she thought I was. I wish I could start every morning with this kind of pampering.

Kellan kept beaming at me the entire time, not saying too many words. I don't think making him tongue-tied would ever get old. He finally regained some composure as we reached the sidewalk.

"I was so focused on you that I forgot that this would be the first time you meet my mom. Are you sure about this?"

I grabbed his head and entwined our fingers together. "Of course, Kelly Bean. Whatever happens, it's fine. I don't have any expectations. If she outright rejects me, I'm not going to hold it against her. I'll get her back when her son is home alone." 

He blinked, his laughter nervous.

"Alright, well let's do this, I guess," he said. We walked quietly to his house. The sunlight was starting to get a richer orange as we entered autumn but the temperatures were still reasonable this time of day. I felt genuinely pretty holding his hand and a part of me wanted to keep right on walking past his house, making our way to the café and spend a lazy couple of hours tucked into a booth.

When we reached his door, he paused. "If at any point you want to leave, it won't hurt my feelings, just let me know."

"Hey, it's really okay. None of whatever is behind this door is a reflection on you. Let's just see what happens. Come on," I motioned toward the keys in his hands. He sighed and reluctantly unlocked it.

I stepped in, and was greeted with a sad, tired smile by a woman sitting on the couch who looked a lot like Kellan.