72. The Battle pt. 2

Start from the beginning

Because it was all a game. As everything was in Fire Moon.

A game Lotta didn't know the rules of, if there were any rules to begin with.

Before I knew it, I ran out on the field. I needed to get to Lotta, to warn her, to keep her away from the alley - from her certain death. "Lotta!" I screamed, but I knew she wouldn't hear me. Not over all the other noise here. And even if she did, she purposefully ignored me, keeping her every focus on her new goal - avenging Vince.

But she had to know - she couldn't go after them, because if she went in that alley, she would never get out.

"Lotta!" I screamed again, my throat burning. I had just made it out of the street, the entire square now coming into view.

I didn't get far - I hadn't even reached the fighting - when a strong body suddenly slammed into me, and forced me aside.

I started clawing at my assailant - never letting that alley leave my view. Lotta had gone in, her daggers tucked back - no, no, no, no.

"Let me go," I screamed, kicking and beating at everything I could touch. "Let me go!"

"Sari, look at me," the voice said, but my eyes were glued to that alley - desperately hoping to see Lotta walk back out.

I didn't want to listen to whoever was holding me back - preventing me from saving my friend from a horrible death.

I kept fighting back, hurting every piece of skin or clothing I found, hoping somehow, in these next few moments, Lotta would magically reappear from the shadows and make her way back to me. But I was taken away further into the street, until I could no longer see any bit of the square.

Whoever held me, didn't let me go. They didn't hurt me back, either. Every punch I received, was one of my own that went astray.

But he was caging me - forcing me to witness another unbearable murder, when I could do something, I could warn her.

I finally looked up at whoever was holding me - and I was immediately met with green eyes. "Jerr," I breathed. "Let me go," I ordered. "I need to get to Lotta."

"Lotta can handle herself," he answered. "You need to go."

I barely heard him. And he didn't hear me. He needed to let me go.

"You don't understand," I cried. "She's about to die."

"Lotta will be fine," he said, his tone urging, desperate.

"No," I cried again, tears welling in my eyes and blurring my vision. "He's gifted, he's gifted, he will kill her. I need to warn her. I can't- I can't lose her."

"And I can't lose you, Sari," he pleaded. "I need you to get out of here. Lotta will be alright, I promise you."

"How can you promise that?" I sobbed. "There's three-"

"She's the Shadowed Death, Sari," he exclaimed, holding my face in his hand, his eyes desperately looking at me to listen to his words.

They slammed into me with a harsh coldness.

"What?" I whispered.

"She is, she's an assassin, and she's gifted, too. She can defend herself. I need you to calm down now. You won't lose her, but if you set foot on that square again, we will lose you."

"No," I cried, shaking my head. "You're just- That can't-" But I couldn't find the words.

"By the Moons," Jerr whispered, ignoring my confused words as his fingers grazed my mangled hand. "He said he got to you in time," he growled to himself, pulling me by my other hand as he guided us into a nearby vacant house.