Jackie's attention was averted towards the stairs as she heard some shuffling, her boyfriend and his younger brother soon emerging into view. Axel stared at the other man intently, watching his every move like a hawk as Harley continued to slink down the stairs, looking even worse than yesterday as the bruises that riddled his body and face gained some color to them. Her eyes flitted over to Lucas, who also must have heard them as his body was twisted away from the stove, his face holding an odd expression. It was a strange mixture of sympathy and pure bloodlust.

"Hey, Harley," Jackie greeted softly as the younger brother slowly eased his sore, battered body into a chair at the table, Axel hovering around him nervously and doting on his every need.

"You want some juice? Let me get you some juice," Axel chattered, rushing into the kitchen to rip open the fridge and pour a glass of orange juice. Lucas' jaw ticked at the sight, annoyed that everyone else got to attend to Harley while he had to pretend he didn't care. At least he could make him a proper breakfast, so Lucas turned off the stove and divided up the eggs and sausages between two plates, even buttering a piece of toast for each of them.

"Oh- thank you, Lucas," Harley said in surprise as Lucas placed his and Jackie's plates down before them.

"This looks really good," Jackie complimented, digging into her food as Axel looked over in shock from where he sat between Harley and Jackie.

"Aw, Luke, you made them food?" Axel teased, to which Lucas responded with a middle finger.

"He's injured and she was up early puking her guts out, I'm mean but I'm not the devil," Lucas snorted, and Axel kicked his shin playfully.

"I do appreciate it, you know. Seriously."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Lucas grumbled, jamming a spoon into a tiny container of yogurt.

Lucas tried to be subtle as he watched Harley poke around his plate, eating a lot slower than he usually did when both hands were in commission, but he was making good progress.

As Harley leaned back to take a sip of his orange juice, Axel reached over to snatch his plate out from under him, beginning to cut up his sausage into tiny pieces.

"Come on, Axel, seriously?" Harley huffed in exasperation, setting his glass down onto the table harshly.

"I'm just makin' it easier for you," Axel shook his head, furrowing his eyebrows in concentration. Jackie watched him over the rim of her mug as she took a sip of tea.

"I could eat it just fine with one hand as it was," Harley continued to protest, but Axel was already finished with the job, pushing the plate back over to him. Although he continued to eat, Harley made sure to let his displeasure be known by jabbing violently at his food.

"Where's your sling?"

"I took it off to sleep," Harley huffed,

"Right after breakfast, put it back on."

"Well I can't shower with it," Harley snorted, but Axel ignored him.

"Lucas," Axel suddenly spoke up, looking at the oldest man. Lucas stared back with a neutral expression, but felt trepidation at Axel's tone shift. "Let's talk for a second."

Lucas nodded simply and stood, ignoring Harley's wary gaze as he followed Axel up the stairs and towards the bedroom he and Jackie shared. It was a simple room like his own, although the walls were bare and they had more furniture than him, all found from scouring the second hand stores.

Lucas leaned against the wall next to the bed as Axel sat down on the edge of the mattress, lacing his fingers together and leaning forward as he placed his elbows on his knees.

Devil's Gambitजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें