Chapter 20

Harley smiled as he sipped on his drink, some fruity mixed cocktail Lucas had made him that Daniel begged him to try, claiming it was one of his favorites, as he watched Elijah pour over the cards clutched in his hands with a sheen of sweat gathering on his forehead.

"It's Go Fish, bro- the hell are you so nervous for?" Daniel snapped, growing impatient as Elijah narrowed his eyes, flicking them from his cards to everyone else surrounding the table.

"I'm taking it seriously, Daniel!" He bit back, and Lucas leaned back further in the armchair behind them, watching on in amusement as the innocent game turned more aggressive each passing minute. Harley was feeling a nice warmth and buzz throughout his body, and would find his gaze drifting over to Lucas with half lidded eyes, taking in the man's attractiveness. Lucas still refused to have sex with Harley, which was a boundary he respected and didn't push, although Harley was feeling pretty pent up at the moment. There was only so much grinding and making out could accomplish in satisfying Harley, and he was coming around to the idea of being more intimate with Lucas.

Elijah opened his mouth as though he was about to make a play, when Axel clambered up onto the kitchen table and stood, teetering with the effects of alcohol as he hit the side of his beer with a spoon to garner everyone's attention, Jackie laughing as she looked up at him and held his legs so he wouldn't fall.

"Attention everyone! Jaqueline and I have an important announcement to make!" His booming voice took over the room. Daniel groaned as they put their cards down, frustrated that Axel had interrupted Elijah's decision, no doubt causing the process to repeat itself once the game resumed. Harley blinked up at the slightly blurred image of his older brother, sweat sticking his ashy brown hair to his temples, the chest area of his grey tank top darkening with sweat as a dazed smile took over his face.

"I'm gonna be a father!" He whooped, almost tumbling off of the table and smacking his head against the small chandelier hanging on the ceiling. Harley felt the breath rush out of him in shock, and he immediately looked towards Lucas, who continued to gaze at Axel with a small smile on his face. Daniel's eyes were as wide as saucers, and he looked at José as he whispered embarazada whilst pointing at Jackie. The room was so silent you could hear a pin drop, and Jackie's wide smile faltered slightly at the quietness that fell onto a group of particularly rowdy individuals.

Lucas eventually stood, making his way over to Axel as he clapped, enveloping him into a big hug and dragging him off the table while smacking his back.

"Congrats man, that's amazing," Lucas spoke into Axel's shoulder. That seemed to bring everyone out of their stupor, as cheering and whoops of excitement burst throughout the room, Harley looking over at Jackie as he bolted up from his seat on the couch towards her.

"Oh my God, when did you find out?" He rushed out excitedly, bringing her into a big hug as she laughed and wiped tears from the corners of her eyes.

"Just last week, actually," she breathed, mascara slightly smudged from the tears.

Axel pulled away from Lucas and held him at arm's length, taking in his friend with a content smile. "Thank you, Lucas. This means a lot to me."

"Of course, man. You're going to be a great father," Lucas nodded as Axel patted his shoulder and turned towards Daniel, who ran up to them talking a mile a minute with questions tumbling out of his mouth, while Axel did his best to keep up. Lucas turned towards the back door, fishing out the small metal tin that contained his joints as he stepped out into the cold night. He was happy for Axel, sincerely, but Lucas wasn't expecting the strange mix of emotions that he felt. It was almost like he felt sympathetic to another version of himself that used to exist, or maybe a version of himself that existed at that very moment in a parallel universe, that had never met Harley and had to deal with the news that the man he was in love with was now becoming a father with the girl he had been dating. Lucas was glad this was his current situation, and that he could actually be happy for his friend now that Harley was in his life- but even simply imagining that alternate path was a little intense.