Chapter 16

Jamming the shovel back into the dry, dusty dirt, Harley wiped the sweat rolling down his forehead with the back of his arm and huffed as he hauled the flourishing boxwood into the large hole. The screen door to Elijah's nana's house opened with a creak while he corralled the dirt around the plant to fill the gaps, his knees protesting angrily as he stood with a sigh.

"Honey, that's enough for today. It's too hot for you to be out here working your tail off," the concerned voice of the older woman carried across the yard, and he turned to greet the woman with a smile. "Why don't you have a glass of lemonade before you go? I just made some so it's good and fresh."

"That would be amazing, Nana. Thank you," he smiled gratefully, walking over to where she leaned over her cane, little images of daisies scattered all around the metal against the purple base. Harley reached out to hold the door open, the woman easily able to shuffle under his arm and into the house, moseying over to the kitchen as Harley took a seat at the table.

"You do such hard work, I appreciate it so much. The yard is really shaping up. I can do the upkeep much easier now that it's not so overgrown," she plopped down on the chair across from him, her hand that held a slight tremor reaching across to set Harley's glass down in front of him.

"Thanks Nana. I enjoy doing it," Harley spoke around a large, grateful gulp of the ice cold liquid. His throat was a little irritated from all the dust and dirt, and he had no doubt it hadn't completely recovered from last night's debacle either.

"I always love having a clean yard, and I think Chris likes to see a pleasant view from his window," she hummed, resting her chin on top of her folded hands.

"I'm not sure who Chris is? I haven't heard the name yet," Harley's eyebrows furrowed.

"Oh you haven't, now? Well, excuse me for assuming you know what on Earth I'm blabbering about. Chris is Elijah's father, he's been living with me for the past five years. Work accident, he was paralyzed from the neck down," Charlene hummed, although the name was never uttered by those around her. She was simply Nana, family or not. She was Nana to everyone.

"I- I had no idea. That's awful," Harley breathed, staring at her in shock. "Elijah never said anything, although we're not that close. I wouldn't expect him to tell me something so personal."

"It was really devastating. He worked in a warehouse, OSHA regulations not even within a ten mile radius of the place; but they were known for hiring those who were desperate. They knew this well, and preyed on those who merely wanted a job to keep afloat. Chris was on a ladder, far too tall for no one else to be present or the lack of safety harnessing, and he fell. He fell and everything changed in the blink of an eye," she sighed, mouth twisting in pain at the memories. "He isn't my boy, but he is family and he is my daughter's rock. She works non-stop to provide for everyone, even though Elijah's long flown from the nest. She's still got a teenager and one in middle school, so I help out where I can, mainly being around if Chris needs somethin'."

Harley's shoulders deflated, eyes drifting over to the hallway where he was sure Chris was resting somewhere. "Is there anything I can do to help out?"

Nana smiled, reaching over to squeeze Harley's arm, and he felt mildly embarrassed about his sticky, sweaty skin, but the older woman didn't bat an eye. "I don't think you realize how big of a help fixing up the yard is. How about planting some pansies next time? Those are his favorites. We can put a pot right in front of his window. I think that'll look real nice."

"It would. I'd be glad to do it for more of your lemonade."

"Next time we'll make it a meal. I'll cook my famous roast," Charlene clapped in excitement. "I haven't made it in so long, Ellie says the meat is too expensive. I think we can make an exception, and he'll change his mind once he is reminded of the taste."