CHAPTER 9: THE CONVERSATION

VANESSA

"Hi Finley, It's me again. I've been calling you for a week and I'm starting to worry. I'm back in San Francisco and I want to see you."I released a sigh."You're not answering your phone so I guess I'm going to have to come to you. I'll see you soon."

I hung up the phone and placed it down on the island with an exhaled. Why are siblings so draining? He knows I'm calling, but he's ignoring me anyway. This isn't like my brother.

"Still not picking up?"Jeremy asked as he walked into the kitchen. He placed his laptop bag down on the counter and stood there.

I shook my head.

"You need to relax, Vanessa. Finley is a big boy, he can take care of himself."Jeremy straightened up his navy tie, so it was perfectly positioned down the centre of his white fitted shirt.

"I know he can, but he's not answering his phone so I'm worried about him. What if something happened to him, Jeremy?"I said in worry."I'm going to go see him today. If he doesn't want to see me then that's fine, but I need to know that he's okay."

"If that's what you think is best."Jeremy took a seat at the island and watched me as I poured his coffee."So you got your period. I saw the box of tampons by the bathroom sink."

Not much gets passed him. I knew there was something on his mind.

"I um... I got my period this morning. It was late so I thought..."I didn't finish my sentence, but I didn't need to.

"I know... I did too."He replied.

I moved his coffee mug across the island towards him. "I know that it's disappointing, I'm disappointed too. I guess I thought it would've happened by now."I folded my arms across my chest. "I thought getting pregnant would be easy."

It was easy the first time around and we weren't even trying.

"Maybe we should go see someone. It might be good for us to get a professional opinion and discuss our options."

"You mean, to check if we can have kids."I asked and he nodded."I guess it's worth looking into. I'm just not sure if a professional would think that maybe we're jumping the gun."

It's been a couple of months and yes we're growing impatient. But a professional might think we're getting ahead of ourselves since we haven't been trying for that long.

"It's better to know now than down the line."He drank his coffee and set his mug back down on the island.

"So we have someone to blame if we can't have kids of our own. Or even if we don't blame each other we will still blame ourselves."I placed the milk back in the fridge and grabbed a water bottle.

"That won't happen, Vanessa."I didn't reply and Jeremy exhaled and stood from his stool. He walked around the island towards me."You still want this, Don't you?"He asked while moving his hands up and down my arms gently.

"Yes, of course I do."I replied.

"Then we don't have anything to worry about."He smiled before setting his lips on mine softly."We can talk about this more tonight when I get home."Jeremy walked back to the stool and picked up his laptop bag."Other than seeing Finley, what are your plans for the day?"

"I was um... thinking about looking for a job."

Jeremy furrowed his brows just like I knew he would."A job? We have money, you don't need to work."

"I know, but I want to. I want something to do. I'd like to do my part and make money too even if it's only a little."I smiled hoping that he would agree."I'm not used to being the wife that sits home all day. I don't think that's me."