CHAPTER 5: JUST ANOTHER PARTY

Start from the beginning

"Late to our own party. Your mother would not approve."I pressed a teasing kiss to his lips and walked away but he grabbed me so I didn't get more than two steps.

I giggled as he pulled me close, wrapping his arms around my body and pulling the zip of my dress down."I don't care what she says. I don't answer to her."He replied.

"No, You answer to me."I smirked teasingly.

Jeremy moved his hand up my neck and into my hair. He pulled my head back and whispered in my ear."Then tell me what you want and I'll give it to you."

His hand was placed gently on the small of my back when we walked through the downstairs of Tom and Ava's home. What Jeremy wanted and I wanted were two different things so we arrived late. But as they say, it's better late than never.

Waiters in tuxedos were circling with champagne glasses on silver trays and there was a massive buffet table of fancy finger food in the dining area. Decorations of white and gold were hung up but everything looked very classy and sophisticated.

When someone mentions banners and balloons you automatically think of a child's birthday party, at least I do. But these ones were not tacky, there weren't any foil cartoon-looking figures of a bride and groom. They were classy... just like the Austins.

Honestly, I don't mind the foil cartoon-looking figures of a bride and groom. I'm not a rich girl, I married into money but I grew up middle class. I still save where I can, just like my father taught me.

"Promise me you won't leave me alone."I whispered to Jeremy as we moved through the sea of guests towards the kitchen. He chuckled in amusement.

"I promise."I didn't believe him, because I know how men think. I know how my husband thinks. It won't take long before the men have disappeared to the study for cigars and scotch.

I'm sure some women would be happy to lose their husbands at a party, I usually wouldn't mind the idea myself. But when I'm in a room full of people I don't know and the questions of Michael are bound to come up, it's nice to know someone has your back.

"Alex?"I looked at him from across the room with furrowed brows. He walked towards me already holding a champagne glass in his hand."What are you doing here?"I asked as I hugged him.

"Hello to you too, Flower."He replied before pulling back from the hug."As if I would miss your party. Your mother-in-law invited me."

"That was nice of her."I looked at Jeremy and smiled.

"Yeah, It certainly was."Jeremy replied. I know my husband's facial expressions. It was obvious that he didn't like that Alex was here."I should go thank her for that. You're okay here, right?"

"I'll be fine with Alex."

"Alright, I'll be back."He pressed a kiss to my lips before walking away.

Jeremy has always had something against Alex, but I've never been able to figure out what that something is. Perhaps it's jealousy because I have another man in my life. Who knows.

"That man really needs to learn how to smile." Alex had a cheeky look on his face. The feeling was mutual between him and my husband.

I rolled my eyes at him"My husband smiles... sometimes."We all know Jeremy isn't a smiler, he's a very serious man. Maybe too serious sometimes. He smiles around me... That's what's important.

"Your husband..."He exhaled."I can't believe you married him again. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you and all that, but after your conversation with his mother I thought you wouldn't come back."