CHAPTER 4: THE ICE CUBE INCIDENT

Start from the beginning

I thought of Natasha. What it would've been like for her to lose her husband on their wedding day. I've suffered... that doesn't mean that she had to too.

"Because of her. I didn't want Natasha to suffer for your mistakes. She loves you so..."I folded my arms across my chest and looked away from him in awkwardness.

"She's your best friend, you would do anything to make her happy."Ollie nodded his head in agreement. But it wasn't like he would do the same for his best friend. He let him take the blame for a crime he didn't commit."Thank you anyway, for thinking of her in all of this."

"We should get back to the table."I walked past him towards the door.

"Vanessa..."He said my name and I turned around. Ollie looked to be mulling something over in his mind, unsure if to say it or not. I waited by the door for him to speak."I know I probably don't deserve it, but do you think you could ever forgive me... For everything I've done."

Forgive him? It wasn't something I considered even.

"You are best friends with my wife, I don't want the atmosphere to be tense every time we're around each other. That's not saying I want it to be forced, I want your forgiveness to be real."

I certainly don't forgive him... I don't know if I ever can."I don't know, Ollie. I guess with time we'll find out."

I really need to talk with my therapist after tonight!

After a couple of texts shared between Wesley and me, we sat down to lunch together the very next day.

"What is it with rich women? She thought she was better than me just because she had money and a nice car. Money is not everything, I take the bus I don't mind."He chuckled.

"I'm sure not all rich women are like her."

"Of course, you're the exception."He smirked."So anyway, I told her to shove it and I deleted tinder from my phone. I could've slept with her and ran obviously, but I couldn't bare to listen to her laugh let alone moan."

I couldn't contain my laughter and I almost spit out my coffee in the process."You're so funny, I miss this."

"Me too."Wesley replied."So I heard you're Mrs Austin for the second time. Congratulations. Bummed I didn't get an invite to the wedding though, I'm sure it was glamorous."

"Don't take it personally, Wesley. No one was invited. After everything Jeremy and I have been through, we just wanted to do this alone. Just the two of us."

"I get that. You have the right to do things in your own way."Wesley took a bite of his pastry and it flaked everywhere."These are insane. I've never been here before, but I will be coming back."

"They're pretty good."I sipped from my coffee cup.

"So what's life like in New York?"He asked the dreaded question.

"Um, It's great. We live in a penthouse apartment with a view of the city to wake up to every morning, so that's nice."I looked up from my lunch and noticed his face. The look he had showed me that he didn't believe a word I said.

"But... You're not happy there, Are you? It's just a feeling I get."

"I just..."I paused, trying to find the words to speak."I thought it would be easy, that I could leave everything that happened with Michael here in San Francisco. I thought that I would be able to move on with my life."

"But you couldn't, it's not that simple. I don't know anything about the process of how to deal with what you've been through, but I know that healing takes time."Wesley showed me a smile of reassurance.