Roots

They decided to meet at Bree's dorm. Bree couldn't face the Lodge right now, the risk of running into Nick was too high. Alice waited with Bree until Corinne arrived, supposedly just to make sure she was okay, but Bree knew really that Alice just wanted to see her again.

A knock at the door sent Alice up on her feet to awkwardly answer the door, inviting Corinne in as her face flushes pink.

'I'll let you two.. um yeah Bree text me if you need anything' Alice mumbled as she left the room at lightning speed.

Corinne laughs and shakes her head-

'Is she always like this?'

'Not exactly.' Bree smiles. Corinne really looks at her, and that warm, familial feeling prickles her skin, but completely opposite to the way Sel's look does.

'Do you feel it too?' Bree asks

Corinne nods. 'I've never known someone else who can. I wonder if...' she trails off. 'Why did you pick me?'

Bree knew that question was coming. It was hard to explain how she knew that it had to be Corinne.

'Your skill was just immaculate! The way you used the sword, and your aether is powerful! There was no way I didn't want you to be my Kingsmage. But also that feeling, it just had to be you. I can't explain it.'

Corinne nods in agreement- 'It's like this was meant to happen.' Bree swears she can hear Vera humming happily, and even greeting a friend?

Here goes nothing:

'Do you know about root?' Bree asks, her heart hammering in her chest. If Corinne doesn't know, she'll have to brush it off somehow, or make up a lie she hasn't quite yet prepared.

Corinne's face freezes for a second, her head turning in surprise.

'You know about root?' Corinne says cautiously, scared to say too much.

'I only found out not long after I found out about this world. But my mother could perform it, but she wouldn't tell me until she died.' Bree explains solemnly. Familiarity pricks in Corinne's eyes.

'My mother used root and my dad was a Merlin. If they knew about each other, well it probably wouldn't have happened.' A shared pain passes between them, they both know how much their ancestors fought for their power to be passed on.

'Do you ever feel guilty? That you have to use aether, and not just borrow like your ancestors' Bree asks, it had been a niggling thought at the back of her mind. Now she had someone to share it with.

Corinne swallows, 'Yes. I wish there was a way to fix this, I just don't know how.' Bree nods in agreement.

'What sort of root do you have?' Bree asks, wanting to get to know her Kingsmage better.

'I'm a wildcrafter.'

'Just like my mum.'

Bree walks over to her drawer and pulls out the velvet box containing her mother's charm bracelet.

Her hands shaking, she passes it to Corinne.

'Do you know how someone would charm something like this to hold a memory for years? Like they can relive it and see things they forgot?'

Corinne shakes her head.

'I'm sorry, I've got no idea. But the amount of power that would take is just phenomenal! Did your mother..'

Bree nods, her eyes stinging with tears

'Maybe I can write to my mother and ask if she knows anything. Does the Chapter know about all of this?'

'A couple people know bits, but none of them know the full extent. Nick knows the most. But the Regents have no idea- I don't know what they would do if they did.'

They talk more about what they know of root, and Corinne seems to have been taught more by her mother.

'I don't use root very often, I feel bad enough using aether. I only use it if I absolutely need to.' Corinne explains.

Bree explains about being a medium, and that Arthur just takes over in battle, it's like she becomes him. Corinne sits there astounded-

'Sounds like you'll need to protect me more than I protect you!' She laughs.

'Thank you, for choosing me Bree.' Corinne says as she walks towards the door, slowly turning the doorknob.

'I don't think anyone else would have fit.' Bree answers honestly.

They share a smile and Corinne leaves.

'Her grandmother is Mary's cousin! That's where I recognised her face from!' Vera chuckles, 'Funny lady. Never failed to make us all laugh, even after a tough day. You better look after her, Briana.' Vera urges, seriously. I will Vera. I promise. Bree thinks.