【 SEVENTEEN 】

Start from the beginning

I swallowed hard. I was glad my hood was up, so he couldn't see me sweating bullets. "Obi-Wan--Master Kenobi-" I corrected myself hastily as Master Windu narrowed his eyes at me in suspicion, "he's tracking him down right now."

Master Windu cocked an eyebrow. "So you just... what, left him?"

I shook my head. "Um, no. Um..." I silently cursed myself. I was never this lost for words. The amount of secrets coming to light and pressure on me was only growing, making me lose all sense of control over myself.

"Naberrie," Master Windu said, his voice a little softer. "Are you okay?" He seemed genuinely concerned, which was a first for him. But I wasn't about to admit what was bothering me.

"Fine," I forced myself to say. "The bounty hunter got away from us on Kamino. Obi-Wan stuck a tracker on his ship so we could track him down. He told me to come back here and discuss with the Council while he takes care of it himself," I lied.

Master Windu blinked. "That seems like a terrible idea," he mused. "If that bounty hunter could overtake you and Master Kenobi together, perhaps he needs more backup, not less."

"No, no, I'm sure he's fine," I stammered. "I just really need to speak to Master Hollbar, so if you'll excuse me-" I edged my way around the Jedi Master, who turned around, staring after me in massive bewilderment. I knew my behavior was bound to raise some red flags, especially in Master Windu, who knew me well, but this wasn't the time to worry about that.

Her room wasn't too far from where I'd met Master Windu. Rocking on my heels, I rapped on her door with my knuckles, trying not to let my inner anxiety rip me apart. The second the door was cracked open I had it thrown open, and I stormed into the room, slamming the door shut behind me. I spun around to face Kera, who looked astonished and puzzled at my sudden entrance.

"Re?" She asked, her brow furrowed. "What are you doing here? I thought-"

"I was on Kamino, yes, I know," I snapped, waving my hand. I didn't need to go through the same conversation I'd had with Master Windu again. "Yes, I was. But I needed to come back."

"Come back?" Kera was still lost. "Why?"

I crossed my arms, staring her in the eyes, hoping I could convey all of my anger with one look. "Do you know what I found out while I was there?"

"Something about the bounty hunter?" She guessed. "Though that wouldn't explain why you're seemingly angry with me."

"Angry?" I spat, my voice rising. "That doesn't even begin to cover it, Kera. Angry would be... me stubbing a toe and you laughing at me. This is nothing compared to that. When I find out that the person I care about the most has been lying to me my whole life, my emotions go way beyond anger." When I saw something in my old master's eyes click into place, I nodded in disgust. "Yeah, that rings a bell, doesn't it?"

"You mean..." Kera swallowed nervously. "You found out about your mother."

"Found out?" I thundered. "No, I didn't just find out. Kera, she's been in my head this whole time without me knowing. For ten years she's been there, putting dark thoughts into my mind, making me do terrible things, pushing me against the Jedi Council. I never knew... I never once thought she was there, because I had no reason to."

Kera looked astonished, but more importantly, devastated, and extremely guilty. "Re..." she began.

"No. Now's not your time to speak," I hissed. "How would you feel if you spent ten years learning to resist the dark, just to find out later that your power is innately tuned to it? If you'd been having these dark thoughts that you were tormenting yourself over, thinking they were your own, then suddenly getting told that it's not just you--it's your mother, who you never knew was a bad person, much less gifted with the Force, because your Master never thought to tell you?!"