#17

The elevator doors opened. I was greeted by fog...no, smoke in the semi-darkness.

I smile darkly. So that's it. Another one of the new rooms that are real puzzles to leave and at the same time get out alive.

But I don't stop, nor do I give up. Samuels and Taulor are dead. Waits, Ricardo and many others - everyone I cared about, really. But that's not my problem anymore. Without emotion, I continue to fight for my own survival.

But this is a fight that requires flexibility in many ways, so I proceed quietly and very perceptively.

Let's see...aha. I hide behind a nearby item box in the lower right corner of the room after checking that there isn't a ventilation drain in there somewhere. Then I scan the room. The beginning is big. My goal is clearly visible to me: a new elevator, which needs to be called first. But look at the miracles, I can already see from here that there is no electricity, so I probably need to find some way to restore it.

I immediately notice a guy with a shotgun patrolling around, apparently still lucky not to have encountered a monster. But the poor fellow is not at all careful, and evidently believes that the weapon will protect him in case of an unpleasant encounter, and I know for a fact that it will not.

And for a moment I feel almost ok. The room would be quiet and eerie if that guy wasn't there, and like this, even though I know he'd shoot me if he saw me, I feel better. Because it's better to be around a human enemy than to be alone in a huge room - especially on this station.

And while I'm creating a plan in my head to use an ion soldering iron to cut open the board that leads to the small chamber where the circuit is probably located, the guy walks under the ventilation duct and...

One tail pokes him and pulls him up. The guy howls and wails for just a few seconds. Tumbling above me and silence.

I purse my lips. Yes, now the room is perfectly creepy again. Just my luck.

I carefully cut the panel with the soldering iron and enter the next room. It's completely dark, so I turn on the flashlight. Um, I don't have much battery left. I better watch out.

And...I can't turn on the electricity from there. But I find a console with a code written on it that undoubtedly leads to the next side room with power and elevator control consoles. Well, it seems promising.

As I sneak up and type the unlock code on the keyboard, I can't shake the feeling that a monster is nearby. Behind this door, perhaps? By now, the motion detector has become part of my left hand. Some movement above me...but north and not close. Everything seems ok so far.

I enter the next room and reach the room with the control consoles. Small fat screens are all around me. I'm looking for a power switch...yeah. It's not ideal, but it will do. Typical of the style of this station, I activate the power, but not for the elevator, but for the next door of the nearby small room.

And I'm going there. Strange how uncomfortable silence and peace can be, isn't it?

But as I open the door by squeezing the handle 3 times, my thoughts wander for a moment and that's why at the last moment I notice a sizeable creature that looks like a hybrid of a human hand and a monstrous spider.

I reach for the flamethrower and sear it as it flies towards my face. I slip away and check if there are any more. No, it seems.

This is not good. The adult specimen is more than likely aware of the fate of this young man and is coming to get me at any moment...so I quickly press the button to call the elevator and leave the room.

As expected, there is a loud thud and the elegant nightmare falls to the floor. With a quick step, he ran to the door of the room and stopped, examining the remains of his unsuspecting friend.