Chapter 10

GoldenPaw purred as she trotted at LionPelt's side. The beautiful golden tabby shared not only the same pelt colour with GoldenPaw, but personality. LionPelt was kind and outgoing, a great she-cat overall. Her affection for WolfStep spilled over like GoldenPaw's did for ThunderBlaze.

The two were on a moss-patrol with HawkFeather and TigerPaw. TigerPaw and SnakePaw had been devastated when they heard about GoldenPaw, and had been visiting her every day, along with BlackPaw. The four littermates had developed a connection over GoldenPaw's injuries, and their parents were beyond proud.

"Hey, GoldenPaw! There's some moss over there. Wanna help me get it?" TigerPaw offered.

"Sure!"

GoldenPaw leapt after her brother, and together they pulled up enough moss for quite a few nests.

"Well done! TigerPaw, GoldenPaw, do you remember how to roll up moss?" LionPelt asked.

"Duh!" GoldenPaw huffed playfully.

She rolled a decent amount into a ball, as did TigerPaw. They positioned them under their jaws, and began the journey back go camp. GoldenPaw couldn't help a glance towards the WindClan border.

"Curious?" LionPelt purred, following her gaze.

"Yeah. I was injured before I even got near the border, and I've been cooped up in camp since! I want to see the border."

"I can take you there."

"R-Really?" GoldenPaw asked, her green eyes lighting up.

"Yup. HawkFeather! Would you take GoldenPaw's moss back with you? I'm going to show her the border."

"Alright," HawkFeather conceded. "If she looks like she's in pain, you'd better drag her back to camp, despite what she says."

"I got it," LionPelt said was a dismissive flick of her tail. "C'mon, GoldenPaw!"

GoldenPaw shot after the golden tabby, working her paws in rhythm. Soon, LionPelt pulled to a stop.

"This is the border," she announced. "Hey! SpringWish! Bring your patrol over here!"

GoldenPaw looked up to see five cats streaking over the hills. Their paws were barely touching the grass, and their pelts became blurs. Their speed exceeded that of the fastest cheetah.

As the patrol neared, LionPelt purred in welcome. "GoldenPaw, this is SpringWish, BrindleSkip, HalfStone, AntCreek, and, um... who is this?" LionPelt flicked her tail at a small apprentice.

"That's my apprentice," BrindleSkip purred. "His name is GingerPaw."

"Hi," GoldenPaw greeted awkwardly.

"Oh! Looks like ThunderClan's got a new apprentice, too! What's your name, Dearie?" AntCreek purred, her lean muscles rippling under her sleek brown pelt.

"GoldenPaw. My mentor is the deputy, LightningHeart," she added, anticipating the next question.

"LightningHeart?" HalfStone echoed, bewildered. He glanced at LionPelt.

"Yeah. I wish I had an apprentice. WillowWisp's kits are close, so I might get one of them," LionPelt explained.

"Is LightningHeart really her mentor? Is GoldenPaw SPECIAL?" GingerPaw asked deeply.

"Yes," LionPelt mewed softly, then added louder, "Everycat is different in their own way. They're both wonderful cats."

"Yes, GingerPaw, that was a tad rude," BrindleSkip scolded gently. "Apologize, please." GingerPaw muttered an apology to GoldenPaw, his green eyes abashed.

"Th-That's okay," GoldenPaw meowed, astonished. "LionPelt, can we go?"

"Yeah, we need to finish the patrol!" GingerPaw added to SpringWish.

"I guess they're right," AntCreek purred, her whiskers twitching. "See you at the next Gathering!"

The WindClan patrol departed, leaving the ThunderClan cats alone.

"Are you sure it's wise to have such close friends in WindClan?" GoldenPaw asked when they were out if earshot. "You looked so comfortable around each other, it's like you're from the same Clan."

"Yeah... I know it's not a good idea to have such good friends in another Clan, but deep down we all know loyalty to the Clan comes first, no matter what. I won't kill my friends, but if they ever threatened ThunderClan, I'd give them a lot to think about!" LionPelt purred. "Who knows? You may find you like the company of a cat outside ThunderClan. The Gathering is tonight, and you'll be coming."

"Wow, really? Awesome!" GoldenPaw purred.

When the cats got near the camp, SnakePaw bounded out of the trees. His amber eyes were wild with excitement.

"WhiteCloud's kits are coming!" He announced. "Come on, hurry!"

The trio pelted to the nursery, only to find FoxFlight pacing nervously.

"FoxFlight! How is she?" BerryTail exclaimed, coming up from behind GoldenPaw, LionPelt, and SnakePaw.

"I don't know! But, she's gone quiet! Something must be wrong!"

"Nothing's wrong," SparkFlare purred as he appeared from the nursery. "Far from it, actually. FoxFlight, you now have three sons and a daughter."

"WhiteCloud!" FoxFlight yowled immediately. "WhiteCloud! WhiteCloud! I'm so proud! You're so amazing!"

GoldenPaw's whiskers twitched in amusement.

"That could be us one day, y'know." She whipped around to see ThunderBlaze seated right behind her, his eyes gleaming.

"I-I'd like that," GoldenPaw murmured. She padded forward and pressed her nose into ThunderBlaze's shoulder fur.

"You're amazing," the two cats murmured at the same time.

"What?" ThunderBlaze gasped in play. "Oh! You said something at the same time I did!"

"Drama Leader," GoldenPaw purred.

"You're one to talk!" ThunderBlaze poked GoldenPaw's shoulder with one paw, and she fell with a playful yowl. ThunderBlaze let out a taunting growl, then bounded away.

"Ooh, I'm going to get you!" GoldenPaw squealed as she raced after him.

After a few glorious but exhausting minutes, she finally flattened him at the camp enterance.

"You're mine!" She puffed, nibbling on one of his ears.

"I wouldn't want to be anycat else's. I love you, GoldenPaw."

"And, I love you."

GoldenPaw and ThunderBlaze slowly and cautiously twined tails, their purrs echoing around the stone hollow.