Introduction

"Where is MintWhisker?!" AdderHeart wailed as he burst into the ThunderClan camp.

"In the forest, collecting marigold. Why?" SparkPaw asked.

"ShadowStripe... in forest... kits early..." AdderHeart panted as RavenWing and ThunderPaw eased him onto the ground.

"Wow... That's awesome, new kits, but..." SparkPaw trailed off. "Even if we could find MintWhisker in time, ShadowStripe will be too weak to kit properly."

"That doesn't matter!" WhiteCloud huffed. "You can do it! You've been a medicine cat apprentice long enough!"

"Yes," agreed FoxFlight. "Go help her."

"B-B-But, I—"

"SparkPaw, there's no time to lose," StormStar announced as she bounded up the HighLedge. "Take three warriors and whatever supplies you need, and hurry. The smell of blood will soon attract foxes and badgers, and I'm not going to lose a weakened queen!"

"I'll go!" AdderHeart volunteered at once.

"No, you won't," SparkPaw snapped as he recovered some of his old medicine cat authority. "You'll be too spazzy to focus on what to do. RainRiver," he called. The silver elder appeared. "Take AdderHeart into your den and calm him down. I don't want him going crazy and trying to follow us." RainRiver nodded and motioned the auburn-brown warrior away. "WolfStep, BadgerStripe, and SunFlash; come with me. BadgerStripe, bring your apprentice."

WolfStep, one of ThunderClan's most senior warriors, looked a little stunned at being ordered around by an apprentice. SunFlash and BadgerStripe nodded eagerly. SparkPaw motioned to VinePaw, and they vanished into the medicine den to collect the needed supplies.

"AdderHeart!" SparkPaw called as he stuck his head out of his and MintWhisker's den. "Where is she?"

"She's at the WindClan border!" AdderHeart yowled. "Let me show you where!"

"You're not goin' anywhere." SparkPaw recognized SnaggleTooth's raspy voice.

"They'll be able to find her," SweetFur soothed.

"That's right," the last elder, RabbitFur, growled.

"SunFlash! VinePaw! WolfStep! BadgerStripe! Let's go!" SparkPaw yowled. He quivered with what everycat assumed excitement and anticipation, but was really nerves. He had never done a delivery before, and MintWhisker was only beginning to teach him about deliveries, mates, love, and the herbs relating to it.

Still, he couldn't let ShadowStripe down. She was one of his closest friends, and had been the one to persuade him into the medicine cat position in the first place. He wasn't about to back out on her when she needed him the most.

Gathering himself, SparkPaw signaled to his cats and set off.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

SkyWhisper angled her ears towards the thick woods. Chilling wails were raising from the trees, loud and high enough to freeze a cat to the spot. She glanced towards the forest, and at that moment another hair-raising shriek arose. Carefully tucking her stems of fresh coltsfoot under a low stone ledge, the WindClan she-cat bounded into the trees.

SkyWhisper caught her breath as she emerged into a small clearing. ShadowStripe, a young ThunderClan queen, was sprawled on her side and shrieking in pain. The silver-and-white medicine cat watched as a powerful rippled passed along the black cat's side. Her kits!

Despite the fact that ShadowStripe was a cat from a rival Clan, SkyWhisper knew she couldn't just walk away, and leave the poor queen to bleed to death. She scowered the area of ThunderClan and on her open moors, thankfully coming up with borage, poppyseed, and strengthening herbs.

As SkyWhisper padded back towards ShadowStripe, she found herself staring at four kits, snuggled against their weakened mother's belly. SkyWhisper laid the herbs next to the queen, then left.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

SparkPaw stared at ShadowStripe in wonder. Four perfect kits suckled at her belly, and the queen was chewing what smelled like ragwort. Stepping forward, SparkPaw scented her.

He immediately recognized the scent of SkyWhisper, the WindClan medicine cat. She must've been out gathering herbs when she heard ShadowStripe, and had brought herbs and help. However, it seemed as if the queen had kitted herself. SkyWhisper's scent lingered only briefly, than vanished back into WindClan territory.

"VinePaw," SparkPaw meowed. "Run back to camp and fetch BerryTail, MapleHeart, RobinFlash, and WaspWhisker. Tell them that ShadowStripe kitted but is weak. We need warriors to help!" VinePaw nodded, turned, and sprinted into the trees.

"Shall we carry her?" WolfStep asked.

"Yes. Once WaspWhisker arrives, he can help. BadgerStripe, you and SunFlash scout the area for signs of danger. WolfStep, stay here with me." The warriors carried out his orders with cheerful obedience. A spark of pride began to glow in SparkPaw's chest. Was this what it was like, caring for his Clanmates and dealing out orders and having them obeyed? No cat even made a comment on his youth!

Much sooner than he expected, VinePaw burst into the clearing. BerryTail, WaspWhisker, LightningHeart, and PineClaw were with her.

"I met the patrol in the forest! They said they'd come, so I didn't have to go all the way to camp!" She explained breathlessly.

WaspWhisker padded over to WolfStep, and the two toms gently hoisted ShadowStripe onto their shoulders. BerryTail anxiously checked the limp queen, nudging her here and there to make sure she didn't fall.

LightningHeart grasped a kit in her mouth, as did BadgerStripe, SunFlash and BerryTail.

VinePaw caught up to SparkPaw, her emeraldine eyes sparkling. "You okay?" She asked. "You'd usually be buzzing about something like this."

"I know. I don't know what's wrong with me. I just feel..." SparkPaw trailed off.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to," she added quickly. "I just want you to know that if you ever need to talk, I'm here."

"Thanks, VinePaw." SparkPaw felt surprised at how much he meant it.

"You're welcome." VinePaw side-stepped, and now her pelt was touching SparkPaw's. Even though he was a medicine cat apprentice, he didn't feel uncomfortable in the least.

It's VinePaw, he reminded himself. Only VinePaw.