Chapter 4_The Great Comeback

—---------Lizzie standing next to the y/n, addresses Darcy as much to distract him from her family as for any other reason. —---------

Lizzie: Do you dance Mr Darcy?

Mr.Darcy : *glancing at y/n* Not if I can help it.

Lizzie, Darcy and Miss Bingley stand in uncompanionable silence.

—---------------Later. Darcy is joined by an exhilarated Bingley.-------------------

Mr. Bingley : Upon my word I've never seen so many pretty girls in my life.

Darcy : You are dancing with the only handsome girl in the room.

Mr. Bingley : Oh, she is the most beautiful creature I ever beheld, but her sister Lizzie and y/n are very agreeable.

—------------They have stopped at the edge of the dance floor but have not seen Lizzie, y/n, and Charlotte who are hiding behind a pillar. Lizzie starts to smile.-----------

Darcy : Her sister Lizzie may be but not so y/n. Perfectly tolerable, I dare say, but not handsome enough to tempt me.

—--------Lizzie stops smiling looking at y/n. Y/n's smile faltered but not so much so no one could notice.-------

Darcy: (cont' d) You had better return to your partner and enjoy her smiles, for you are wasting your time with me.

Bingley goes off.

—------------------------

Charlotte : Count your blessings, y/n, Lizzie. If he liked you, you'd have to talk to him.

y/n : Precisely. As it is, I would not dance with him for all of Derbyshire, let alone the miserable half.

Charlotte smiles at her friends, but sees nonetheless that she is stung.

y/n : Come Lizzie, he's nothin but a glittered, thick browed, scowling peacock whose comment should not affect you.

Lizzie : * sending a grateful smile* you as well y/n.

—------------------------

Bingley is standing with Jane, Lizzie, Mrs Bennet and Darcy. 

Mr. Bingley : (to Lizzie and y/n) Your friend Miss Lucas is a most amusing young woman.

Lizzie : Yes! We adore her.

y/n : Yes, she is a charmer with her humour.

*Lizzie and y/n chuckle*

Mrs. Bennet : It is a pity she is not more handsome.

Lizzie & y/n : Mama!

Mrs. Bennet : But Lizzie and y/n will never admit she is plain. (to Mr. Bingley) Of course it is my Jane Who is considered the beauty of the county.

Jane: Oh! Mama, please!

Mrs. Bennet : When she was only fifteen there was a gentleman so much in love with her that I was sure he would make her an offer. However, he did write her some very pretty verses.

Lizzie: (impatiently) And that put paid to it.

Y/n : oh yes, I wonder who first discovered the power of poetry in driving away love? *Lizzie and y/n laughing, facing each other*

Darcy : I thought that poetry was the food of love.

y/n : (now facing Darcy) Of a fine, stout love it may. But if it is only a vague inclination, I am convinced that one poor sonnet will kill it stone dead.

----------Darcy looks at y/n with a glimmering of interest.---------

Darcy : So what do you recommend, to encourage affection?

-----y/n and Lizzie turns to each other for a moment. Then turn and looks at Darcy square on.-----

Lizzie & y/n : Dancing.

Lizzie : Even if one's partner is barely tolerable.

—-----------------------

They gave him a dazzling smile. Darcy looks startled. He has no idea they heard him. Lizzie and Y/n turn away walking with a smirk feeling relief and victorious of their great comeback. 

y/n turns to lizzie ( still walking away from the group ), they were smiling at one another, which then turns to laugher of what they have just done. 

—------------------------

To be continued...................