Fields of Innocence: Evanescence

(Cassie POV)
Another day in the life. I wake up and make breakfast for my master, making sure the toast is crispy but not burned, and the eggs are perfectly poached.

He storms into the room, rattling the chain that is attached to my ankle and a post sunk into the floor.

He sits down and I serve him the breakfast, then go back to stand in my corner, awaiting any further orders.

"You're learning, bitch. Good for you."

I flinched away from the harsh, rasping voice.

"Thank me," he said, standing up from the table.

"Thank you master. You are ever so kind to me. I only wish to serve you in a manner befitting of my station."

"Good girl."

I took away his dirty plate and began to wash it in the sink.

"Don't forget the floors today while I'm out, and Dust the living room too."

He pulled a shock collar from his pocket and locked it around my neck with a small padlock. Then he took the cuff off my foot and left.

I quickly did my chores and then took out the first aid kit. I was still bleeding from my arm, a wound he had given me when his steak was too dry during dinner last night.

How did I come to be here? Well, on adoption day three years ago at my orphanage, he adopted me and took me home, immediately hitting me and cutting me the moment we stepped in the door.

"Cassandra."

I jumped and turned, "Yes, master?"

"I think you need to have a proper education. Get dressed. You're going to high school."

I nodded, "Yes, sir."

"And be quick about it, the bus comes in five minutes."

I rushed to get dressed in something acceptable, and I ended up in a black dress that went to my mid calf. It had a pattern of black rhinestones in the shape of a heart in the very center of the bodice, and the skirt was ripped vertically in some places where overuse had resulted in thin fabric.

I rushed down the stairs and he removed my collar, placing on the tracking chocker he used for public outings.

"Here is your bag, your books are all in it. I will see you at three thirty off the bus."

"Yes sir."

The bus rolled up and opened it's door for me. I stepped into a world I had nearly forgotten. There were people, and they were talking freely! I was free to do anything, within the school grounds.

The bus began to roll as I found an empty seat and curled into a ball against the window. 'This world could be scary' I thought to myself as I was jolted when the bus stopped again. Then the real trouble started. They walked on.