3

I woke up just as the sun was rising and bright light was dripping through the crack in between my curtains. I strained my back, stretching my arms above my head. I lazily got up, shuffling my feet to the bathroom to freshen up and change. 

After fighting the temptation against the warm water as I washed my face, I trudged into the kitchen where my mother and father were already sitting. "Good morning! You're just in time, I just finished making breakfast." My mother smiled, setting down a plate of Baozi, a plate of Youtiao and a bowl of Zhou with Gan Lan Cai. My father was sitting at the dining table with a serious expression reading a book titled: Winning Profits.

"Mom, you made too much food again! I won't be able to eat all of this before school." I said, eyeing the food on the table, taking a spoonful of Zhou and putting it in my mouth. "Then don't drink the Zhou!" My mother chatised, dragging the bowl away from me and plucking the spoon out of my mouth.

My father set the book he was reading aside and grabbed a pair of chopsticks. "You should eat more, Chenle." Then he started eating. We discussed things like school and my new friend Jisung over breakfast. "Why didn't you translate everything I told you to tell him yesterday?" I was hoping my mother forgot, but I should've known she hadn't, because she had the memory of an elephant.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I lied, feigning innocence. My mother smiled and laughed, before grabbing one of my cheeks and pinching it with her thumb and index finger in a very strong yet loving way. 

"Isn't our son so cute!" She cooed aggressively, releasing my cheek from her grasp. 

 "Okay, then. Since I'm reminding you now, tell your friend he's good looking." She released my cheek and I was almost positive her fingers were temporarily imprinted into the side of my face.  "You should hurry, don't be late." My mother reminded me. So I stuffed one last Youtiao in my mouth and left the table to grab my school bag. 

As I collected my things, I remembered that my mother told me to open the curtains in the morning, so I briefly set my things down to open the curtains. I tied the curtains back, my gaze lingering on the house across the street where Jisung lived. It was such a coincidence that he lived there, but I was glad. It gave me an easy excuse for talking to him. I wondered how Donghyuck hyung could say such things about Jisung when he wasn't a violent or rude person at all.

You should stay away from him if you know what's best for you.

I saw no sign of life from the house accross the street. Losing interest, I looked away, refocusing on getting to school on time. I slung my bag over my shoulder and headed to the door to slide on my shoes. "Drink this before you go." My mother came rushing over to me with a cup of lemon water. 

"Mom, I've had enough and I need to go." I whined. 

Why did mothers have to be so motherly? 

"You arguing with me isn't saving you any time. Here, drink it." She tilted my head and poured the lemon water into my mouth. "It improves digestion and it will detoxify your skin." I gulped the water down while my mother continued to talk. "Your skin needs detoxifying. I can see your pores from miles away." I wiped my chin off where some water dribbled and cringed at the sour taste.

"See, that was easy wasn't it? Have a nice day at school, dear." She not-so-gently pushed me out of the door. I would've stood there, dazed at how much could happen in a minute if my neighbor hadn't stepped out of her house and caught my attention.

She was young and tall with long legs that suited her perfectly. Her arms were thin, but not thin enough to be concerning. Her posture was one of a model's. She had a simple, elegant aura following her. It didn't seem she was arrogant or narcissistic, but that she had a naturally beautiful influence on everyone around her. Like she was one of those people who are kind to everyone and had the ability to bring out the best in any person.