Goodbye

I laid my head on Cameron's chest. I took in the familiar smell of the ocean mixed with his body wash and cologne. The fact that his smell is familiar makes my heart spin with happiness.

I watched as the sun set, knowing this was the last sunset we would have in each other's arms for a while. At least, no matter how far we are from each other, we will still share the same sun. I traced lines on his bare chest aimlessly, trying to push the thought of our inevitable goodbye out of my mind.

I took a deep breath as Cameron braided and unbraided small strands of my hair.

"What are you thinking about, pretty girl?" He asked, kissing the top of my head.

I looked up at him, "The fact that this is our last night together for at least three months."

He sat up and pulled me into his chest, our faces less than an inch from each other. He cupped the back of my neck and placed small kisses on my collarbone and earlobe before whispering in my ear, "Then let's make tonight count, shall we?"

"And how do you plan on doing that," I teased.

He kissed my neck with his teeth, tightening the grip on my hips. He trailed his hands up my stomach slowly and meticulously before placing small kisses from one ear to the other.

Complete and utter bliss filled my body as a sigh fell out of my lips.

"Cameron," I whispered, burying my face in his neck.

***

Only hours before Mom and the boys came to get me we laid in the hammock on the back porch of Cameron's house.

"Hey you two," his mom sang, walking out with two cups of lemonade in hand.

I smiled, "Hi Miss Han."

She placed her hand on my back and bent down to kiss the top of my head. "Oh it's Denise and you know that," she laughed. She took a deep breath and thought for a moment before speaking. "If you need anything while you're back in Boston we are all just a phone call away, sweet girl. Not just Cameron... me, Shelby, Nathan, we are all here for you. No matter what...you're going to be our family one day."

"Mom," Cameron interrupted. "Leave her alone."

I playfully slapped his arm, "Be nice to your Momma." I smiled up at her, "Thank you, Denise. Your family means so much to me. My mom welcomes you to come to see us in Boston anytime you'd like. It can be very pretty. Just a little chilly in the winter."

"Well," she smiled, "We will definitely have to plan a family trip then! Cam, you never told me she invited us to Boston."

Cameron his face in my chest, "And now you and my mom are planning trips. See you fit in perfectly, Babe."

"She sure does," Shelby laughed, running outside.

"Mom," Cameron whispered through his teeth.

She laughed, "Let your brother spend time with his girlfriend. You can bother him when she leaves...sorry kids."

They walked inside and Cameron ran his fingers through my hair, "I'm sorry they are so crazy," he whispered.

I looked up at him and kissed him softly, twisting his curls in my fingers. "I love it. Things have been weird at the summer house since the ball and even weirder since the Conklins left. It's nice to see people act like a normal family and not walk on eggshells."

He wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tightly, pulling me to lay on top of him, "If I hold you here and close the hammock, they won't see us, and then you're stuck with me."

"I wish," I laughed, moving a little so I could play with his hair again.

When you think about going long distance with your boyfriend or talk about it with friends, everyone thinks about missing out on kissing, make out sessions, and sex. No one mentions the fact that you won't be able to hold onto the comforting smell of your partner, or play with their hair. Or listening to their soft steady breathing to fall asleep.

That's what I'm going to miss the most. Twisting his perfect brown curls in my fingers while his calloused hands rub my back. Listening to him whisper stories about his day while he braided my hair and kissed my head softly.

These little forms of intimacy are the things that are going to kill me to be away from.

"I mean you could," he whispered. "Like you said you're doing college online. You know my mom would let you stay here."

I brushed my hair out of my face and took a deep breath, "I would love to. But, Cameron...my mom is dying. My little brother can't do that alone."

"Conrad isn't going to be home, why do you have to be?" He asked.

I shook my head, "Because that's how it works. I don't expect you to understand, and that's okay. Can we please talk about literally anything else?"

He was silent for a second, but luckily he placed a kiss on my cheek before I had time to send myself down a rabbit hole of fear from our little disagreement.

"So," he whispered. "You're going to call me as soon as you get home while you unpack?"

I laughed, "Tomorrow. I live twelve hours away, Handsome. We're going to stop at a hotel tonight. And tomorrow I'm also visiting all my friends I haven't seen all summer on Tuesday. But I'll call you before bed tonight."

"I can't believe you're leaving," he whispered, his voice breaking slightly.

I looked up to see silent tears falling down his face.

"Hey," I whispered, wiping his tears with my thumb and willing my own to stay away. "Oof, babe, you're gonna make me cry."

He looked down at me with a sad smile, "Sorry, I just can't believe it."

I scrunched my nose, "Me either, this has been the best summer of my life. And I'm so grateful that you've shown me what it's like to be loved. You've shown me what it's like to love someone and get it back in return."

"Emilia," his mom yelled out the door. "There are two cars and a big trailer here for you."

"Two cars and a trailer?" Cameron laughed sadly.

I nodded, "You know this. It's the only way we can get all the clothes and make sure we have enough cars to get around in the summer. The trailer has Jere's Jeep in it."

He helped me out of the hammock and wrapped his arms around me, hugging me so tight he lifted me off the ground.

I cupped the back of his neck and kissed him passionately one last time.

He took my hand and walked me to the car, "Who are you riding with?" He laughed.

I looked between them, "Who wants me?"

"We'll take you!" Jere yelled from the backseat of the smaller car mom was driving. "You don't want to drive with the grumpy trailer man."

I laughed as Cameron opened the door to the car, "Close that!" Jere yelled. "She sits back here."

Cameron looked between us confused, "She gets carsick?"

I stood on my toes and kissed him softly, "I sit in the middle, but Bear and I normally sleep the whole car ride snuggled up with blankets from the summer house."

"That's so cute," he laughed, opening the back door.

Jeremiah got out and gave Cameron a quick hug.

Goodbyes between our families were shared for almost twenty minutes before it came down to Cameron and I.

"Goodbye, Beautiful girl, we've got this. Text me when you get to the hotel, call me all the time. And we will plan a visit so soon. I love you so much." 

I hugged him tighter than ever, "We can do this. I love you the most."