Lost

As a debutante big sister, once you get to the club you don't stop. So I'm standing in front of my full-length mirror fighting to get my dress just right.

My fit black dress with the long train, peekaboo stomach lace, and the buttons that go all the way up my back seemed like a great idea when I bought the dress.

Not so much now that I'm bending over like an idiot trying to get the buttons done.

I heard three knocks on my door, "Come in!" I yelled, knowing it was Conrad at the door.

"You look like you're about to fall over" he laughed, putting his arms out to help me stabilize myself.

I took a deep breath, "I might."

He dropped his arms and spun me around to button my dress.

"Does this bring back memories?" I asked, with a light laugh.

"Ew, gross. Is this Emilia 'peaches' Fisher actually having emotions?" He asked, tapping me on the head as he finished my dress.

I rolled my eyes, "I literally feel so many emotions so many minutes in the day. I'm just good at hiding them, Glasses."

Connie sat on my bed as I started to do my makeup, "So," I asked. "How do you feel about Jeremiah taking Bells to the ball?"

"I will unbutton your dress and you'll be left alone struggling if you don't change the subject in five seconds."

"You're snappy," I scoffed. "Anyway, I'm calling Jeremiah in here to do my hair."

He shook his head, "I'll do it."

"Thanks...but no thanks."

"Why?" He asked, clearly offended.

I thought for a moment, "Umm...yknow, I want it to look um...good?"

He didn't say anything so I smiled and called Jeremiah in.

"Brie's on the phone," he sang.

"Don't worry!" She yelled. " I didn't let him FaceTime me because I don't want to see your outfit until the finished product."

And this is why we are best friends. She knows me all too well.

Jeremiah did my hair and smirked at my foundation.

"What?" I asked, frantically looking in the mirror. "Did I like not blend?"

He laughed, "I just wish it was Cam Cameron's shade."

"Why?" I questioned.

He laughed again, "To cover up the hickey you left on his neck."

"You what?!" Conrad yelled.

Brie gasped on the other end of the phone, "You did what? You jumped poor Cammie Cameron?"

I threw my hands up in defense, "He made the first move!"

Great. Now I'm telling my brothers about my love life.

"Did you guys sleep together?" Jeremiah asked, smiling proudly.

"Not that it's any of your business, but no. At least not in the way you're thinking. Like we literally slept in the same bed but I know you aren't being all cute and sweet about it," I scoffed.

***
"My brothers know about the other night," I whispered, softly kissing Cameron on the cheek while we waited for the girls to come down.

He shot his head around at me, "You told them?"

I shook my head, "Your collarbone did."

"Oh," he laughed. "Is Conrad gonna kill me?"

I shook my head, "No. The idiots and Brie were all chill about it. Brie even asked me why I jumped you."

He smiled and kissed me softly. "Yeah, how dare you."

I stood on my toes to whisper in his ear, "Don't act all innocent just because people can't see the ones you left."

"Shut up, here they come," Conrad whispered, pulling me into my seat.

All the girls did everything we had practiced. It was perfect and going just the way we had practiced every day for a month.

"Breathe," Conrad whispered, linking his pinky with mine. "They did it. Now you get to watch Jeremiah and Steven make a fool of themselves."

"Haha," Jere rolled his eyes, "Em can I talk to you?"

I stood up, putting my hand on his back, and looked up at him. "What's up, baby bear?"

A small smile came across his face before it fell, "Have you noticed anything different about mom? Like she's different...right?"

I put on my best poker face and squeezed his arms in reassurance. "Go to show me that dance. You are so proud of it. We can talk later, okay?"

He hugged me tightly, "Okay."

In my conversations with Connie and Jere, I missed something happen with Laurel. I watched as she walked away with tears in her eyes and John trailing behind.

"What was that about?" Con asked.

I shrugged, "I honestly have no clue."

"Well, what was that about?" He asked, pointing at Jeremiah.

"He's starting to figure out mom," I whispered.

Upbeat music began to play as all the escorts came out dancing like the biggest dorks I'd ever seen.

We clapped and cheered louder than we ever had. I laughed so hard that I had tears in my eyes. I watched as Conrad really smiled for one of the first times all summer.

"I wish I could see you two out there," I laughed, elbowing Connie and Cameron.

Cameron leaned over and kissed my head, "oh do you now?"

I scrunched my face and held back a loud laugh as the escorts got ready for the dance.

Bells ran over to us, "Have you guys seen Jeremiah?"

I stood up and got on my tippy toes despite my heels to try and spot his blonde curls out of all the heads in the room.

"I'm going to look for him."

"Emilia." Conrad snapped, motioning to me to sit down. "The dance is about to start."

Which means Bells doesn't have an escort. "Cameron?" I exclaimed franticly.

"Yes, dear?"

I took a deep breath, "Can you dance with Belly?"

He looked between me and Bells, "Yeah, sure. Of course, Em."

Conrad shook his head, "I've got it."

I looked between them, "I don't care which one of you does it. Just someone saves the day while I find my freaking brother," I whispered angrily, still keeping a smile on my face to avoid stressing mom out.

"Where are you going, Sunshine?" Mom asked, putting her hand on my arm.

I smiled and bent down to whisper in her ear, "Bathroom...I started my period."

She nodded, "Okay, let me know if you see Jeremiah."

"Of course."