Chapter Twenty-Five: Distance

Start from the beginning

At the sight of her I turned and started to walk away.

"Are you just going to ignore me until you die?" She said, Her voice sounded strained, and I couldn’t even lie to myself and say it did not affect me.

"Maybe." I said very quietly.

"Why?" She asked. “Why have you been avoiding me?”

"You know why, Greta." I said.

There was a very long pause, but she did eventually speak.

"I didn't lie to you." She said, "I don't know what you think I’m trying to do, but—"

I cut her off before she could make any more excuses.

"You lied to me about Ayla because you saw that I was getting close to her. You could tell I was interested in her and you were jealous." I said. "You lied to make me wary of her, even though she is much nicer to me than you are. It worked too. I believed you, Greta. Despite everything I trusted you. Despite everything I trusted the comfort of your touch."

"Judith, it's wasn't like that—"

"I don't know what you wanted out of me either."

"Judith can't you just listen—"

"Maybe convincing a nun to sleep with you is some kind of fun game to you. Maybe you just like to torment me—"

"Judith—"

"Maybe you just want me all to yourself."

"Please listen—"

She reached out and grabbed my hand, but I pulled it away.

"Well, you have me now, Greta. You’ve taken everything I have, and you have me under your thumb. Why do you want me so bad?"

"I don’t—I don't want you." She stuttered out.

It cut through my chest when she said that, but I managed to keep myself composed.

"Goddess above, Greta. You must be really full of yourself."

"Judith, I didn’t mean that. It came out wrong." She said, “I do want you, I just-”

"Whatever.”

“Judith, what can I do to make you listen to me?” She said.

I shook my head and turned away from her.

"I just want some space, Greta. Can't you give me that?"

Another long pause, and she spoke again.

“Okay.”

Greta did leave me alone this time

I spent the rest of the afternoon with Ayla trying to figure out how to use the crossbow. I wasn't doing great with it, I had to admit. It was much different from a typical bow and so far I wasn't even strong enough to cock it on my own. Ayla had to do it for me.