10

"You will be assisting me with some of the menial work

"You will be assisting me with some of the menial work. I will do most of the work directly related to Mr Jaxon." Jaxon's personal assistant explained to me my job with a friendly smile.

His name was Carl. A nice guy.

Whenever Jaxon had business outside of the office he would walk by the reception counter outside his office, where I work, and leave a note with random messages. If I was present to receive the note from him personally, he would always flash me his brightest smile before running into the lift.

Messages like: 'I MISS YOU〜  (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ'.

What I found odd, however, was the fact that the employees here would often gossip about Jaxon being a serious and unsmiling man. The man they were talking about was definitely unfamiliar to me.

It was safe to say that the first few days of me working at the company were eventful. For a few days the employees were gossiping about the scene the receptionist at the 1st floor had witnessed on my first day of work.

Most were in denial when they heard that their boss had not only smiled at an employee but he had also winked at her. Most but not all. All employees, however, were in disbelief that their boss had called someone 'honey'.

I'm telling you, this man's habit of his displays of affection is going to get me in trouble one day.

~

After a month of working at Jaxon's company, I decided that it was time for me to move out and purchase my own home. I couldn't be free-loading off of him forever. It also wouldn't be a loss for me as my job pays well. Again, over dinner I announced this news to Jaxon.

"Jaxon." I called his name seriously.

"Huh? Yes, honey? What's wrong? Why do you sound so serious?" He stopped eating and worriedly asked me questions.

"I bought a house." I stated.

"A house?!" He nearly shouted.

Nearly because he had stopped raising his voice ever since he shouted once while watching something on his phone and I flinched. He noticed my reaction and ever since I've never heard him even raise his voice in the house. I didn't even discuss the topic with him. He just decided to place the restriction onto himself. It was sweet of him.

"So does that mean you're moving out?" He coughed to cover up his disappointed tone.

"Yeah… I'll be moving next week." I informed him.

"Next week? Don't you think that's too soon?" He asked dejectedly. He really does look like a sad puppy when he's upset.

I sighed. "Jax… I can't be living off of you for the rest of my life… It's not fair to you."

"B-but I can support you now more than ever YN… I could give you the life of a luxurious housewife If you just asked for it!" He whined.

I smiled fondly. "I know Jax and I'm so grateful for everything you've given me. But now, I'm choosing to live independently. Especially now that I have a job."

Hearing that I was firm in my decision, Jax visibly deflated and conceded.

"...Fine. Whatever you choose that makes you happy, I'll support you and your decision." He tried to offer me his signature smile.

~

I had just moved into my new home and I didn't find the need to have a housewarming party. Jaxon has been avoiding me at work lately. He keeps on using his work as an excuse but I just know something isn't right with him. I'm worried.

My peace was interrupted when I heard my doorbell ringing. I sighed. Maybe it was one of my new neighbors wanting to say hi.

When I opened the door I was surprised to find Grayson at my front door, smiling, with a hamper of fruits in his hand.

"Congrats on your new home YN. Mind if I come in?" Gray greeted me.

"Uhh sure." I made way for him to walk through the door.

"This is a nice house you've got here." He complimented as he set down the hamper.

"Thanks. Jax's company pays well."

"Oh so you're still working with him." He took a seat at the dining table.

"Mhm. How did you find my address?" I asked as I grabbed two glasses of apple juice, since I wasn't in the mood for alcohol.

"I just had to ask Jaxon and he told me." Gray shrugged, taking a glass of apple juice from me.

"Ah… I see." I muttered as I took a seat opposite him.

"I also see that you chose not to take my offer." He suddenly brought up the offer he made years ago.

"Oh. Do you still remember that? That was so long ago." I laughed awkwardly, drinking my apple juice.

"Of course I'll remember. I'll always remember when it comes to you YN…" Gray said with a fond smile.

His words did not make my heart flutter. Don't get me wrong, he is a very attractive man. With his striking gray eyes and his silky dark jet black hair. He even has a nice chiseled jaw. But there was just something about this man that I could not bring myself to ignore.

Yes, his eyes were striking and attractive. But they were so cold and lifeless. They didn't hold the usual warmth and fondness that would sparkle in Jaxon's chocolate brown eyes.

'I'm thinking about Jaxon again.' I nagged myself in my mind.

I've been doing that lately. Allowing random thoughts of Jaxon infiltrate my mind. It's just that everything I do, It always reminds me of Jax. I just have way too many memories from me living with him.

I sighed. 'I miss him.' My heart whispered.

"You know… You shouldn't be so sad that you're finally free from your abductor. We should celebrate!" Gray broke the silence.

I sighed again, exasperatedly. "Grayson. I've told you this multiple times already. Jax is not my abductor. He's my savior-" Gray cut me off.

"Except he's not YN. Stop being delusional. You're just experiencing Stockholm Syndrome." He snapped.

I scoffed. "Me? Delusional? A-and Stockholm Syndrome?" I almost laughed in anger at his audacity.

"Jaxon's not a bad guy Grayson! You're his friend! How could you say that?"

"No friend of mine would resort to a life of crime!" I was taken aback.

"I only visited to check up on you." He revealed.

"...What the fuck… Get out. Get the fuck out of my house. Now!" I kicked him out of my house, slamming my front door in his face.

Men and their audacity.