MY FAVORITE THINGS - 4

Cast yourself back to December of 2019. The setting is Old Earth, before The Nothing came to wipe out millions of us with the sickness of the bats. It was Christmastime and, for the fourth year in a row, I was watching TESTED's Favorite Things of the year. TESTED is the YouTube Channel of Adam Savage - one of the two men who once hosted a show called Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel.

 TESTED is the YouTube Channel of Adam Savage - one of the two men who once hosted a show called Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel

You'll learn, if you haven't already, that my mind works a little differently than most.

I like to quiet down the noise with very complex, even extremely challenging thoughts. Sometimes with unfamiliar language or ideas I've never tried to comprehend. And unless TESTED has just uploaded a video of them getting dressed in some epic, over-designed cosplay outfit for Comic Con, I am almost always finding myself learning new things or scratching my head because they're working on something amazing that is far beyond my capabilities. I appreciate the way they think about things on that channel. Adam has just the best attitude when it comes to his projects. It's no surprise to me that his show was formerly on the Discovery channel because every time he is introduced to something new, he exhibits an adventurous attitude of youthful discovery.

But I was not watching Adam that day. When this particular video popped up, it was one of his coworkers. And she had posted a video, like everyone else at TESTED during the holiday season, to talk about her Favorite Things of 2019.

Little did I know that I would be co-opting a thing from her list or that it would become something I would use every day since.

So there I was, learning about a do-it-yourself Cloud Chamber for seeing cosmic rays and energetic particles and how we should be careful with the tungsten rod when constructing the Chamber...

(While it's safe enough to handle, it is radioactive due to the thorium core - and we need to be careful not to leave the rod where someone could mishandle it. And, more specifically, not to lick it. You know. Because it's radioactive.)

I made myself a mental note not to lick radioactive thorium rods if I happen to find one lying around. Then the lady from TESTED moved on to one of her fave writing utensils. And here we arrive at one of my absolute Favorite Things!

The Muji Pen.