LILY

"Amazing party Saturday night, Lily!"

"The best!"

"Lily always throws the best parties..."

The usual party compliments rang in my ears as I soaked in the praises while strolling down the halls of school on Monday morning.

My trademark pink lip gloss from Dior shimmered under the fluorescent lights, making me look like the star I was about to become. I know because I caught my reflection in the glass awards case that lined the hallway.

There was a particularly long, narrow corridor where a wall of windows illuminated my stroll down what I imagined to be my own runway. I smiled and waved to everyone, even the kids whose names I didn't know. After the snafu with Taylor, I wanted to extend my friendship to every student at Bel-Air High so I paused at a group of awkward freshmen and said hello, giving them a wink and a Miss America wave.

At the other end of the hall, I saw Gemma and Penny, both sipping coffee out of giant Starbucks cups. Penny waved her free hand wildly in the air, most likely describing a new love interest. She was notorious for having a new crush every week.

"Thanks for getting me a non-fat, half-caf, caramel macchiato too, bitches!" I smirked, air kissing my friends hello.

"Geez, someone's in a pissy mood this morning." Penny raised her eyebrows nodding toward me.

"Here, take mine... I'm not feeling so good anyway." Gemma thrust her macchiato at me and narrowed her eyes. I hoped she didn't slip and say something about Taylor.

"Girl, don't tell me you're still hung over from Saturday night?" Penny teased, poking Gemma's side.

"She's fine! She just can't get over her father leaving her when she was younger," I blurted.

I'm not sure why I said that, but it was the first thing that flew out of my mouth. It didn't even make sense. My face reddened and I choked. A dot of coffee landed on my white eyelet top. Gemma's mouth fell open like a drawbridge and her blue eyes grew large.

"What the hell, Lily?" Gemma stared at me, shooting daggers. "Why would you say that?"

I was known for my underhanded verbal jabs, but I'd never thrown one at Gemma before. I hadn't meant it, but stress and panic had me in a grasp. And when people panic, they strike out like a snake, don't they? My face reddened.

"I'm sorry, ok? It was supposed to be, like, a joke. I mean, hello! You know I don't mean it!"

I tried to backtrack, knowing that I hurt my best friend.

"You know I love you!" I blew her a kiss.

But I had to say something. I was scared Gemma was going to suddenly confess something about Taylor and we could not risk it.

Gemma had been a wreck since Saturday night, texting and calling me constantly. I imagined her confiding in Penny or Shayla or worse, Edwin, who loved to gossip. If Gemma started talking about Taylor's death, who knows what would happen? This mess with Taylor couldn't have come at a worse time.

Rumor had it, a reality show was set to film here at Bel-Air high. The show would feature a small group of students and their drama. Everything was approved for filming and one of the top execs from the network was coming to make a big announcement about the students they picked.