Chapter 2. Getting Ready for the Storm

Some years have passed since the day when the paths of our heroes were separated. Hope became a Sword Singer which meant she could combine sword and magic.

And Tyler started to act as a real Leader. He could do what Wulfrik couldn't - he united small rebellion camps in one.

There were so many raids on The King's castle, but almost all of them were unsuccessful because of the new Sentinel. Hope the Sentinel. Being skilled in martial arts and having the Dragon Soul (Tyler had the Dragon Soul as well), the girl could  catch any fugitive, anyone who enters the castle without an invitation. Some of them were executed in the place where she caught them.

"How could you be so coldblood?" Henning once asked. "When you came to my castle, you were young and defenseless little bird."

"I'd look at you when you'd be betrayed by the one from whom you saved your own father." 

"What?"

"I had to kill my own father. That's all what you have to know" Hope swept her sword, and the  drops of blood appeared on the wall. "If you want to destroy the problem - destroy the source of it."

"You are talking about..."

"Yes. I'd gladly extinguish the Scarlet Fire" she answered coldly.

Didn't wait for the answer, the girl returned to the roof.

Night fell on the autumn kingdom. A cool breeze announced the coming Storm. The Storm. That's how people named the Fallen Order of Dragons Day and the beginning of The Longest Night. There were many such  longest nights in the year. People were scared, but couldn't do anything. 

------------

"Hope" Henning arrived the roof

"What?" she answered irritably

"Before The Storm I want to..."

"Do whatever you want. I won't come"

"Will you ever let me finish?" he was indignant. He didn't like it when she didn't let him speak.

"No. Because I know that you want to make a dance evening"

"Masquerade" he corrected her "And you WILL come"

"Masquerade" she repeated after him.

And then Hope remembered her childhood. On the Flame Day* her mother always made a masquerade evenings. Everything was amazing: both throne room decorated with warm lights, and people who arrived from each kingdom. Tears came to her eyes.

"No. I won't come. I'm sorry"

"Well. In that case" he sighed "Hope Darkthrop. You are coming to the masquerade. This is an order and it's undiscussable

"Alright."

"I said... Wait, what?"

"You said it was an order. But with one condition" she turned to him. She was so serious, so Henning felt fear inside.

"Hm? Tell me"

"I won't wear a dress. And I will take my weapon"

"No... And no"

"Oh, come on. You haven't invited only your people, have you? I am sure, you've invited his people as well. Or you haven't?"

"They are invited too. We agreed that none of us would attack that evening. Neither we nor they"

"Huh. Tyler promised to protect me. Now you see where we are. So I will take my weapon"

"No. And you WILL wear the dress. This is..."

"Undiscussable" she finished the sentence after him, to which Henning nodded with a sigh of displeasure.

"I would recommend you to take some rest before the masquerade. My dear, trust me, you will enjoy this evening" he put an arm on her shoulder.

"I'll decide myself. Go sleep."

Henning left Hope alone with her own thoughts. The girl sat down on the edge and looked towards the forest. It seemed like only yesterday she had passed through those gates. And now she's here. On the roof. At night. Protects the local King.

The moon rose over the sleeping kingdom.