ELEVEN - PARENT-LESS PARENTS WEEKEND

Eugene was attacked. The night of the Rave'n, he went alone to investigate the cave, and the hyde found him before Wednesday could prevent her vision from coming true.

Aria hadn't seen Wednesday show that much emotion before.

She was even more motivated now to uncover who the hyde was, but now she had another case on her mind. All Aria knew was that it was something to do with her parents, Wednesday didn't give away much more.

But honestly, it was the last thing on Aria's mind. She was busy thinking about Eugene, the poor boy in terrible condition. While Aria was having one of the best nights of her life, Eugene was almost ripped apart. She felt selfish, partially blaming herself for not going with him or convincing him to go to the dance.

It was also the weekend that parents were allowed to visit, which dampened Aria's mood even more. Ever since her mother dropped her off at Nevermore, she hadn't received a single text. Aria called her mom over and over again, but she never picked up.

She didn't expect her to show up either, finding herself gazing at all the students during Weems' speech. Aria wanted nothing more than for her mother to magically appear behind her, claim that her phone broke and she couldn't get in contact, hug her and tell her that she loved her.

But, Aria was alone.

Well, mostly.

She spotted Bianca a few feet away, doing the same thing she was. She approached her, clearing her throat to make her presence known.

"Not sure how much more of this family togetherness I can take." Aria says softly.

"Tell me about it." Bianca replied. A small, comfortable silence fell upon the two girls before Aria spoke again.

"I like your earrings." She said honestly. "Make your eyes look even cooler."

"I don't need your pity, Aria." Bianca said, but her tone wasn't rude.

"I don't pity you." Aria shrugged. "I just think whatever grudge we have against each other is stupid."

Truthfully, Wednesday had told her that the night of the Rave'n, Bianca had told her that she felt like she was not good enough since Xavier broke up with her, and that's why she was so judgemental towards her. Aria understood how she felt completely, and decided she didn't want to make the situation worse.

"I''m sorry." Bianca said, turning to her.

"I'm sorry too." She responded, standing up from her leaning position against the ledge and walking away with a nod.

Aria was planning on taking a walk or just going back to her dorm, but when she turned into another hallway, she almost ran into Xavier, who was leaning against the archway with a deep frown.

She stopped, pursing her lips into a weak smile as a greeting, which he faintly returned.

"Art shed?" Aria asked him.

He nodded, turning his heel and walking with her in silence. As they walked, Aria wasn't sure why she wasn't feeling nervous. It just felt natural, being by Xavier's side and not having to say a word, that their company was enough.

When they got to the shed, Xavier sat down in his desk chair immediately, watching as Aria took her usual seat on top of the desk.

"Wanna talk about it?" She asked.

"I don't really know what to say." Xavier admitted. "Just wish he cared more."

Aria nodded in understanding, letting him continue.

"It's just, with everything going on, it'd be nice to know my dads around for me." He took a shaky breath, playing with a pencil between his fingers. "Especially after Rowan."

"He was such a nice kid, I was one of the very few who got to see it. And now, even with the few people who know that he's gone, it's like no one pays attention to it, just that there's a monster going around. I guess that's fair, but it doesn't feel like it is." Xavier ranted, finishing his point with an exhausted sigh. "There wasn't even a funeral for him."

"I'm sure Rowan was grateful to have a friend like you until they end, though. I know it doesn't mean much, and it doesn't feel fair because it isn't. You have every right to be angry, or sad, or however you feel." Aria put a hand on his shoulder gently.

Xavier nodded, but didn't meet her eyes. "If you don't mind me asking, where's your parents?"

"Dad's six feet under, I think my mom abandoned me here." Aria shrugged. "Hasn't responded to any of my texts or anything, so I don't really know what I'm going to be doing at the end of the year."

"You could come with me. I know I'd enjoy the company." Xavier suggested. "My dad's usually away all summer anyway, so he wouldn't care."

"Don't want to intrude either way."

"It's an invitation." He insisted.

Aria didn't respond for a second, sliding off the desk and sitting on the floor. Without speaking, Xavier mimicked her actions, laying across her lap.

"I know this sounds unreasonable," Aria mindlessly played with his hair. "But I really wish Wednesday didn't go to this school sometimes. I know regardless, that monster would still be around and would probably kill fifty more people before we know what we do now without her. But this selfish part of me wants to think that none of this would've happened without her."

"That kinda makes me sound like an asshole." She leaned against the wall. "She's my friend, but,"

"I get it." Xavier interrupted gently.

"I don't blame her." Aria said anyway. "I know it sounds like I do, but I don't."

"I know, Aria." The way he said her name felt so differently off his tongue than anyone else's. She found herself wanting to hear it over and over again.

"Can I paint you?" Xavier asked after a moment.

"Of course." Aria said, lifting her hands so he could sit up.

She moved back to her spot on his desk, taking a book from her bag and opening it, trying not to focus on Xavier's intense stares. After getting to a rather cute part of the romance novel, Aria felt herself smile, covering her mouth with her palm.

"Why'd you do that?" Xavier asks suddenly.

"Do what?" Aria asks, turning to look at him.

"Cover your face." He motions to her with the brush in his hand.

"Oh, sorry." She puts her hand back to its original position.

"Smile again." Xavier instructed.

"What?"

"Your smile's beautiful." He says, like it's the most obvious thing in the world.

A bashful grin makes its way up Aria's face, her eyes gleaming with affection. Xavier stares again, as if trying to burn the image into his memory.

"Don't move." He says softly, completely captured by Aria's expression.

Aria couldn't speak, her voice stolen by Xavier's words. She was glad she could blame her stillness on his instructions rather than her flusteredness. As he painted, she let herself think about how she could feel herself falling more and more for the boy a few feet away from her.

It wasn't necessarily a revelation, more like the feeling had been there forever, but she was just uncovering it for the first time. It felt natural.

Aria could only hope he felt the same way too.