NINE - OUTREACH DAY

Outreached day came quickly, and Aria was dreading it. She hadn't stepped into town since she transferred to Nevermore, and she was partially hoping she wouldn't have to ever again. She opened her pamphlet that Ms Thornhill gave her with a relieved sigh, at least she was at the only place she remotely enjoyed.

"Yes!" Enid cheered from next to her. "I got Pilgrim World! I do have natural people skills and a love for performing, so it's kinda the obvi choice. What'd you get?"

"Uriah's Heap, whatever that is." Wednesday read.

"Ew. It's this weird, creepy antique store. You'll love it though." Enid said. "What about you, Ari?"

"Oh I got that coffee shop, Weathervane." Aria smiled at the nickname.

"Aw that suits you." Enid smiled. "I'm crossing my claws Ajax and I will be outreaching together."

The group turned to where Ajax was standing, next to Xavier, who looked less than pleased about wherever he had to go.

Before either boy could notice the girls attention, it was switched to Ms Weems, who approached them with the same smile.

"Wednesday, Aria don't worry about your instruments. I'll have them brought to the town square this afternoon." She spoke.

"My guitar?" Aria asked the same time Wednesday asked, "My cello?"

"I overheard the both of you playing some nights ago." She admitted. "Impressive, the both of you."

"I volunteered you to accompany the Jericho High School marching band at the ceremony. I'm sure it won't be too challenging to play an uplifting Fleetwood Mac melody." Weems added.

Aria scoffed at the name of her old high school. She'd played with them many times before, but that was when everyone thought she was a normie. And even then, she still got picked on. She could only imagine it would be worse now.

"As long as you promise to hang me as a witch afterwards." Wednesday said.

"Be careful what you wish for." Aria grumbled.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

"Ajax has Uriah's, Enid." Aria said as she stepped off the bus.

"Ew. Thank you!" She called, running up to Wednesday to beg with her to switch.

Aria found Xavier staring at a white painted wall, frowning when she realized it was most likely a mural that got covered up.

"It wasn't blank last Outreach day." He said sadly, his arms crossed.

"Well I'd hope so, or else I'd have to admit you're losing your touch." Aria looked at him, noticing the small smile that formed at her words. On closer inspection, she also noticed the bags under his eyes.

"What'd you get?" He asked, pointing to her pamphlet.

"Weathervane." Aria replied.

"Thank god, you're with me." Xavier let out a relieved sigh.

They began their walk to the middle of town, where a meeting was taking place before the day officially started, a question on Aria's mind.

"Can I ask you something?" She said, fiddling with her skirt.

"Yeah, what's up?"

"That picture Wednesday and I showed you," Xavier's expression changed, like he was annoyed about the topic. "Sorry." She immediately stopped talking.

"What? No, I'm sorry." Xavier stops walking, turning to Aria as he speaks. "It's just Wednesday. She's been interviewing me nonstop."

"About Rowan?"