FIVE - ARCHERY

Early the next morning, Principal Weems entered the infirmary in a hurry

Early the next morning, Principal Weems entered the infirmary in a hurry. Her commotion woke Aria immediately, Xavier too, a groan escaping his lips.

"Good morning, you too." The headmistress greeted, but her tone was stressed. "Mr. Thorpe, I'm sure Ms. Coldmen appreciates your company, but I need a word."

Half asleep, Xavier nodded at Aria, giving a small smile to her before leaving, not noticing he left his hoodie behind on the chair.

For a moment, there was silence. Aria sat up in her bed, thousands of questions swirling her brain.

"I'm sure you're wondering what happened last night." Principal Weems started. "Ms. Addams claims that Rowan attacked you and herself, and then was ambushed by a monster."

Aria stared at her hands in disbelief. "Is Rowan okay?"

The woman took a deep breath. "Wednesday says he was killed, but there's been no evidence of such."

"She wouldn't lie about something like that." Aria said sternly.

"Did Rowan attack you last night like she said?" Principal Weems asked instead.

"Yes." Aria swallowed thickly, a silence filling the dimly light room.

"What's happening to me?" She added.

"What are you talking about?"

"The other day, I exploded one of your gargoyles. And now I've been getting randomly exhausted or nervous when there's no reason to be." Aria explained.

"Your powers are fighting their way out of you. We'll run the tests today and start your training tonight, this is more urgent than I thought." Principal Weems said quickly, rushing out the room after mumbling something to a nurse.

Immediately, the nurse approached Aria, explaining the kind of tests they needed. It was a simple blood, spit and hair sample, which she completed quickly. She was itching to get out of the room, her shirt feeling too tight to her body suddenly.

Eventually, Aria was allowed to leave. Grabbing Xavier's hoodie that he left, she shuffled out of the room as fast as she could, noticing she had little time before lessons started. On her way out, she spotted Xavier leaning against the door.

"What are you still doing here?" She asked.

"Waiting for you, of course." He grinned, but his eyes scanned her face for any signs of injury.

"Oh, thank you." Aria smiled, beginning the walk back to her dorm, Xavier trailing behind her.

"You don't have to walk me back." She said.

"I know, but somehow I worry you'll concuss yourself again." He said, earning a slap in the shoulder as she kept walking, avoiding his eyes.

By the time Aria got to her dorm, she forgot about everything. Her 'powers', whatever was going on with Rowan, everything. It was only when she had closed the door, telling Xavier goodbye when she realized she still carried his hoodie in her hands.