Chapter 2: Freedom

Author's Notes

Decided that this chapter is too short so I should post the next chapter along with it, enjoy the double update, even though no one cares about it!

End of Author's Notes

As she watches her dear brother fly away, she couldn't help but smile. Please, fly free for my sake, she silently hoped as the shogunate soldiers put handcuffs on her.

"Get up and don't try to run away." One of the soldiers told her.

She knows that she can't run, her wing is bleeding out beside her, the arrow still buried deep. They didn't even bother with the arrow, just casting side glances at her to make sure she doesn't faint from blood loss.

They ended up arriving atone of the cave systems of Narukami Island, she can hear other illuminated beasts in the hollow place under the hill, it seems shogunate soldiers don't know the difference between hybrids and pure illuminated beasts.

The soldiers pushed her into one of the empty cells and just... left, without leaving any guards. The shogunate really don't care about securities on their illuminated beasts.

"Hey you." One of the illuminated beast called out to her, a tengu. "You don't seem like a pure blooded illuminated beast am I right?"

"Yes indeed, though the shogunate soldiers can't really tell the difference I suppose." Fuka replied.

"What's your name? I heard that hybirds usually have names since they are half human." The tengu asked.

"Fuka, I suppose you don't have a name yourself." She answered.

"I was abandoned by my family at my birth so I just wandered alone until the soldiers caught me hunting." The tengu explained their backstory.

Fuka decided to pull out the arrow on her wing and cover it with cloth ripped from her outfit, by the time she finished, the tengu bird already finished explaining.

"What is your story?" It seems backstories are the only thing that can entertain the illuminated beasts trapped in this cave system.

"I was also left alone by my family, I heard that my human father never thought my mother was a phoenix and therefore, thought I was a cursed child, half human, half illuminated beast. I wandered in the world for five years until I landed in the coldest forest I have ever been to, the mist was high and I ended up freezing. Until another half phoenix like myself found me..." The rest of the story was just explaining how the boy adopted herself into their family and the VHD incidents.

"At least you managed to hide your phoenix self for 13 years, I can't imagine not being able to spread my wings for most of the day." The tengu commented and every other winged beast also agreed.

Five days has passed, most of the beasts explained their backstory, Fuka's wing was healing well, until...

"Please, come this way dear costumer." A guard said. "We have various variety of illuminated beasts you can buy."

"Lead me to your most expensive one." An annoying voice said.

"Over here," The guard lead them to Fuka's cell. " This one looks like a human with phoenix wings, we recently caught it so there is a discount."

Were they selling illuminated beasts!? That is so stupid. Fuka feels like the man in front of the cell is not going to be a good person.

"I will... take this one." Fuka doesn't have a good feeling about this.

"Of course, here are the papers." The guard pulled some papers like they prepared for this person to buy her already and give it to the man.

After the man has done the papers, the guard opened her cell and pulled her over to the man.

"Here is the beast, don't try to run away." The guard whispered to her the last part.

Fuka just nodded and followed the man.

When they are outside, Fuka don't know why, but the fresh air and the clear sky just made her feel alive again. She stretched her wings and let the cold breeze brush through the feathers.

She suddenly felt like this is an perfect opportunity to escape. Fuka spread her wings, letting the cloth on her wing fall off and flew up at an accelerating speed.

Fuka can hear the man yelling at the guards to shoot her down, but the archers can't hit her since she is very agile in the air.

She saw a teal light in front of her, the same teal light that give Kazuha his vision.

The small teal orb give birth to an anemo vision, she immediately grabbed it, the vision was warm on her hands, it sent a wind blade and cut the cuffs that restrained her.

She silently thanked whoever give her the vision and flew away.

I will find you Kazu, my dear brother, I promise you, lets fly high in the sky and dance with the winds of the world again.