Prologue: Phoenix

Author's Notes

I know I only recently got a story going, but I absolutely love this idea, I already got more drafts in this than The First Male of a Valkyrie School. I am personally very proud of this fic for how only one chapter is below 1k words. Enough about my ramble, hope you like this fic!

End of Author's Notes

Kaedehara Kazuha was the son of the famous Kaedehara Clan, as a six year old, he has always had a sense of freedom in his heart despite the restrictions of being the clan heir.

He always thought himself to be a human, until he found her.

Kazuha was strolling around in a forest outside his home, the soft, cold forest wind brushed his snow white hair that has an unique single red streak. Stopping by the river, he can see his reflection in the calm, cold water. A pair of eyes as red as his streak stared back at him.

The wind has always been guiding him, protecting him. Perhaps he is just unique, but no one questioned it since they believed he just had an extra sense for nature.

The Kaedehara felt adventurous today and decided to get out of the human built path and walk deeper into the forest.

The wind was guiding him away from the path and light, he does not understand why, but he dares not to question the wind which has blown across the whole world.

That is when he can hear someone shivering, he quickly ran towards the sound with the wind giving him a little push.

He expected to find a human... but this one, it had wings.

That did not stop him from trying to warm the person up, he quickly hugged it, giving it his warmth.

When it stopped shivering, he finally got a good look at the person.

It had snow white hair like him, with a single red streak in the same spot, they looked like twins, except for some fading red that was at the tips of its hair. The person is actually a girl that looks his age.

Kazuha stayed their with the girl until she finally woke up, she also has the same red eyes as Kazuha.

When she finally got her mind clear, she immediately jumped and backed away from him.

"Wait! I don't mean any harm..." Kazuha calmed her.

The girl's sharp gaze suddenly softened, she stepped towards Kazuha and spoke her first words.

"Where are your wings?" The girl asked a question that absolutely confused Kazuha.

"What wings?" Kazuha was genuinely confused.

"You do not know? You are like me, or did humans keep your true self away from you?" She once again said another sentence that confused Kazuha.

The girl sighed, "I must explain huh."

Kazuha just nodded.

"Let's start. I am a half phoenix, human and phoenix blood runs through me. But you," She pointed at him, "Is the same as I."

"What!?" Kazuha can not believe this.

"Ok, how about a demonstration, try to imagine wings like mine on your back." She said as she pointed at her wings.

"Umm, ok?" Kazuha tried to imagine white and red wings on his back, when he opened his eyes, he can feel like another part of him was unlocked, he looked back and saw a pair of the same wings.

"Ehhh!?" Kazuha screamed, only to be stopped by the mysterious girl.

"Shhhh, you will get us exposed."

"I just... I can't believe this, but... I trust you." Kazuha suddenly had an idea in his head.

Kazuha continued, "I got a great idea! How about you train me on my phoenix side!"

"I was planning that anyways, it's rare to find a phoenix hybrid like me."

"There is more! Can you come live with me?" Kazuha asked the question that seems so out of blue.

"W-what!?" She never thought he would ask her such a question when they only met 15 minutes ago.

"You look just like me! You can even privately train me without anyone suspecting anything because they will just assume we are hanging out!" Kazuha explained.

"But... will they accept me? I am afraid they will find out my phoenix side sooner than I would expect." She also explained her reason of surprise.

"My family is really nice! You don't have to worry! But if that doesn't work, I can just come out to this forest to train with you." Kazuha wanted to hangout with his newfound friend since they are both half phoenix.

"Fine..." She agreed after a few long second.

"Yay!" Kazuha jumped and immediately dragged her away, they both hid their wings, the girl had to teach Kazuha how to hid his wings.

When they got back, Kazuha just told the guards that she is his friend and wants to see his house.

The girl did not expect that when Kazuha explained to him father how they should adopt her, he would actually agree. Kazuha basically told him how they met excluding the phoenix part.

"Alright, we just need to say that she is your twin that we recently found ok?" The father seemed quite ok with just adopting someone his son found out in the woods.

"Yay!" Kazuha cheered before realizing something. "Hey, I don't think I got your name."

The girl froze. "Umm... is it bad to say that I don't know?"

"I guess we just have to give you a name, how about Fuka? I have always wanted to name a daughter that but we just got this little boy." The father said patting Kazuha.

"Fu... ka?" The girl smiled, "Alright, from now on, my name is Kaedehara Fuka."

"I like the confidence, let's go get you something to change into." The father then guided her to a room.

The half phoenix never thought Kazuha's father was this nice, but she enjoyed every moment.

13 Years Later

The VHD started, every vision wielder hid from the shogunate soldiers patrolling the city. Fuka and Kazuha was visionless, but that doesn't stop them from trying to help the people with visions, one of them is Kazuha's friend.

Their clan was destroyed and they had nowhere to go, then Kazuha got an anemo vision while they were wandering.

"Anemo vision, the people that have obtained anemo visions usually strive for freedom." Fuka explained as Kazuha was playing around with his newfound power.

"When we wander, I felt more free than I felt in my entire life, that is the reason I believe." Kazuha explained his ambition.

They had their guard down since they were somewhere far from the city and let their wings out, until they heard something.

"VHD! Give up your visions!" A shogunate soldier called to the pair.

"Look! They have wings! They must be illuminated beasts!" Another called.

"Fuka! We have to run!" Kazuha screamed as he and Fuka flew into the sky.

"Shoot them down!" Someone commanded.

Arrows were rained them, they mostly dodge them until one of it hit Fuka's wing which caused her to drop.

"Fuka!" Kazuha dove down to try to snatch her but she told him the one thing he dreaded.

"Run! Don't look back!" Fuka said before she hit the ground causing dust to surround her.

Kazuha had no choice but to run, he knew that he can't fight off all the soldiers, but his heart felt heavy when he flew away.

"We got one!" A soldier cheered.

"We need to bring her back." Another told the rest.

Kazuha can't bare this and flew faster than ever, almost transforming into his beast form. He silently made a promise to her.

I will find you again Fuka, I will find you like when we first met and let's dance in the sky once more.