“Really?” Nora’s eyebrows raised. “God, I’m so jealous. I mean, Lenny’s place is okay, but a sixth storey view of the main road doesn’t really compare to something like that.”

            “Lenny’s place isn’t that bad.”

            Bringing the cup to my lips, I took a drink of the steaming liquid, jolting as it scalded my tongue. I’d been unprepared for the heat against my mouth, but soon realised the damage was done; there was nothing for it now but to go in for another sip.

            “So, have you made any new friends?” Nora wasted no time in diving straight into the next question, her expression eager. “There must be some kids your age, right?”

            I went in for a longer sip this time, deliberately delaying my answer. Nora was the equivalent of an embarrassing mother, and I wondered if spilling the details about my sort of – maybe – new crush was wise. After all, she wasn’t exactly known for keeping her nose out of things.

            “Yeah,” I said eventually. “I’ve met a few people. I went to that party – you know, the one I got invited to on the day we got there?”

            “You did?” Her face practically lit up. “That’s great, Flo! How was it?”

            “It was…” I was hit by a sudden flashback, of what could only be described as my freak-out at the mention of the word parents. I remembered hiding in the bathroom, the crippling nerves, the scrutiny of Collette’s gaze as she looked me up and down. It was almost strong enough to bring back a second round of the panic, but it merged into something else just in time.

            The conversation in the kitchen with Erin, the intangible bond that linked us together. How I’d returned to the party and done something I hadn’t, at that point, thought possible: I’d enjoyed myself, without being in London and without my sister. “It was fun, actually.”

            Her grin widened, though I wasn’t quite sure how. “Oh, Flo. I’m so happy for you.” Inching forward, she placed her elbows on the table. “So, tell me… any fit Walden guys?”

            I’d expected the question at some point, attributing my straight face to the mental preparation I’d had time for beforehand. Tactfully averting my gaze downward, focusing on the specks of chocolate floating atop the coffee foam, I shook my head. “Not really.”

            I had never been the world’s most talented liar. Since I was a kid, I’d been no good at it. One Christmas, I remember stumbling across Mum’s hiding place for all our presents and not being able to resist sneaking a peek at every single one. It would’ve been fine if the guilt hadn’t racked me from then onward, eventually leading me to blurt out the truth and burst into tears on my mother’s lap several hours later. I just couldn’t lie.

            Maybe I could’ve gotten away with it. If I just kept my head down, letting my hair’s loose curls shield my face from view, I might’ve been able to get off scot-free.

            As it turned out, my phone chose that exact moment to come to life. With a buzz that vibrated the entire table, its screen illuminated, flashing the six-letter word that gave it all away.

            “Text from Daniel?” Nora asked, struggling to hold back a smirk. Though I snatched the mobile up as quickly as I could, my reactions had been just that little bit too slow. She’d seen the name, and by now I was blushing full-force.

            Whichever way I looked at it, there was absolutely no wriggling out of this one. Because while Nora had her slightly ditzy moments, she was by all means persistent.